Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Difference between Icon standard coil overs and extended travel coilovers?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
controlled pair?
375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold

Army:
375taco's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between Icon standard coil overs and extended travel coilovers?

I am going to be buying Icon coilovers and I was wondering what the difference was between the standard coilovers and extended travel coilovers? Also is the resi coilovers worth the price? I am going to set the coilovers at 3" and i was wondering what the ride difference would be..... which better at 3"? thanks brothers!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
One has more travel and is longer. You need to use a Uniball UCA with the extended travel ones.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
One has more travel and is longer. You need to use a Uniball UCA with the extended travel ones.
Hey Chris, would a LR or Camburg ball joint UCA work with the extended travel ones as well?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The extended travel have just a little more travel to make the most of use with aftermarket arms. The Resi-Coilovers have more oil capacity to keep the oil cooler longer. Shocks fade when the oil over heats.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
GEENYUSS is on a distinguished road
GEENYUSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
how do tell the difference between the 2? different part numbers? longer eye to eye?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
So I am looking at Icon Vehicle Dynamics website. They have, for +05 Tacoma's, a regular travel coilover setup (0-3") or the extended travel coilovers (0-3.5").

With the suspensions we have going above 3" would limit your down travel to about .5", thinking stock 8" articulation wise. So my question is what features about the extended coilovers allow you to run these without "harming" the suspension components from this kind of travel?

I know Chris and Dan mentioned you need to run uniball UCA's to get the benefit from these extended travel coilovers and I was thinking is there any way to take a current coilover, in my case eibach springs and the collar and 5100's, and make them run similarly to a extended travel coilover system?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
So I am looking at Icon Vehicle Dynamics website. They have, for +05 Tacoma's, a regular travel coilover setup (0-3") or the extended travel coilovers (0-3.5").

With the suspensions we have going above 3" would limit your down travel to about .5", thinking stock 8" articulation wise. So my question is what features about the extended coilovers allow you to run these without "harming" the suspension components from this kind of travel?

I know Chris and Dan mentioned you need to run uniball UCA's to get the benefit from these extended travel coilovers and I was thinking is there any way to take a current coilover, in my case eibach springs and the collar and 5100's, and make them run similarly to a extended travel coilover system?
You would have to make the shock longer. Cant do that with the 5100's
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

so what are my options for going with a longer shock to fit with the eibach springs and collars?

also is the icon extended coilover similar to the camburg coilovers they sell with the uniballs to make 10.5" of travel? and similar i mean in design and lengths of shocks or is it just in the setup?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
so what are my options for going with a longer shock to fit with the eibach springs and collars?

also is the icon extended coilover similar to the camburg coilovers they sell with the uniballs to make 10.5" of travel? and similar i mean in design and lengths of shocks or is it just in the setup?
I never compared them back to back
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Almost there

are there any other shocks i can look into to fit in the eibach springs and collar i have now?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
are there any other shocks i can look into to fit in the eibach springs and collar i have now?
Icon. Maybe Fox, and King.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
Almost there

do you know how i go about and see if it fits other than asking the company? I have been looking at dsms and the fox or king shocks do not look as if they would be compatable with the parts i currently have, or at least with my stock top plate. thats the first thing i notice on for instance the icon vs what i got. they are threaded from the top and the setup is just way different....maybe i will just save up and sell what i got and just buy the correct setup from the get go!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
SKINUM is a jewel in the roughSKINUM is a jewel in the roughSKINUM is a jewel in the roughSKINUM is a jewel in the rough
Name: Garry
SKINUM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The ICON's are capable of 10.5" but your not going to get that amount of travel out of them. Even with aftermarket uca's the max is about 9.5" due to the limitations within the suspension.

I measured to see what kind of travel I achieved with ICON extended coilovers and light racing uca's. 5.75" up travel and 3.25" downtravel. Im sure there might be a slight variation in the amount of travel but just a quick runthrough resulted in about 9 inches of travel.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I thought Light Racing were standard ball joint and not uniball and thus did not give extended travel?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
SKINUM is a jewel in the roughSKINUM is a jewel in the roughSKINUM is a jewel in the roughSKINUM is a jewel in the rough
SKINUM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I thought Light Racing were standard ball joint and not uniball and thus did not give extended travel?
Nope.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHT RACING LAB View Post
ToledoFJ called us and let us know this thread was flowing. Here are a few deign points on our Upper Control Arms you all might be interested in knowing:
• Our Upper Control Arms were designed work with a wide range of coilover shocks; from the stock Toyota units to long travel aftermarket shocks similar to the Light Racing or Icon units. This includes shocks that allow for a slight increase in droop travel.
• The increased travel was accommodated by using a ball joint with a higher range of travel. The stock Toyota ball joint has a 77° included angle (or 38.5° off centerline). Our design allows for a 90° included angle (or 45 ° off centerline. A spherical bearing (monoball) with high angularity inserts rarely has more than a 35° included angle. The angle of the ball joint plate is optimized for this increased ball joint travel.
• The sliding off-set ball joint that we use allows for a huge range of alignment adjustment rather than designing an arm with a static off-set and relying on the Lower Control Arm cam bolts for adjustment. This means the camber of our arm can be adjusted to the stock upper control arm geometry or it can be adjusted for proper camber in a 4” lifted vehicle. The caster can also be adjusted from stock numbers up to a 4° increase in caster for better high speed stability.
• Using a standard ball joint (instead of a monoball) and molded rubber inner pivots (instead of urethane) gives better ride quality, better longevity, lower maintenance, and quiet operation.
• We as a company have 30 years experience designing ball joints for aftermarket and OEM use. The design and quality of the ball joints used on these arms is top notch.
• Our arms are coated using E-coating. This is a process where the coating is electro-statically grown on the part. This is used for many OEM suspension components and gives superior corrosion protection to zinc plating, paint, or powdercoating.
I will check this thread a few more times over the next couple of weeks and answer what questions I can. For other questions please call our customer service department at (800)525-6505.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
For comparison sake how many degrees do arms like Total Chaos and Built Right have?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
SKINUM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
For comparison sake how many degrees do arms like Total Chaos and Built Right have?
I can't find any thing other then the TC's can correct up to 3 degrees of caster and increase wheel travel.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
maXXXed out mid travel
straycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: paul
straycat241's Tacoma Gallery
wow! so the limitation for more travel even with ext coilvers is the need for longer A- arms? crazy i guess ill just stick with the shocks i have and try to get a resi on them in stead of trying to get the icons
Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
wow! so the limitation for more travel even with ext coilvers is the need for longer A- arms? crazy i guess ill just stick with the shocks i have and try to get a resi on them in stead of trying to get the icons
They need to have more articulation in the ball joint than the stock ones. They dont need to be longer. The TC's, Camburg, and Light Racing seem fine to be used with them.