Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spacer lift...a poor decision?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
WRrider450 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
WRrider450's Tacoma Gallery
Spacer lift...a poor decision?

Hey i purchased a revtek 3" spacer lift a little while ago from 4 WheelParts but i havent had the chance to install it. I recently read how spacer lifts may damage parts and i was curious whether or not i should put it on or maybe try and return it or sell it. I am planning on doing some off roading in the future and i hear a spacer will break parts off roading. It would be great to read any of your guys input. Thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, return the spacer and hold off on a lift untill you can afford some 2.5" Coilovers. Spend the money correctly the first time. I bought 5100s cuz thats all I could afford at the time and I wanted a lifted truck asap and I regretted that decision once I hit the trails, wouldve have regretted it even more if I had a spacer.

Bottom Line: Spend your money/Save your money for what you ultimately want on your truck.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
yeah money is kinda tight for me but im definitely willing to save up even if it takes a long time. what kinda coil overs do you recommend and about how much do they cost?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
hmm thats kinda a bummer im not sure i will be able to return them.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers will screw stuff up if you do some serious off roading, but if your just doing mild off road driving it will be alot stiffer. And as far as coil overs, arn't they just as expensive by time you facter in rear lift as a new drop bracket lift? And dont they have to be fixed after a while of being on the truck?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
dont do it.

esp if you plan on off roading
Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
take it form someone thats very impataient, just save up and wait, i rushed into a basic coilover from fabtech and $380 dollars later and 4 months down the road, the pos broke, after learning my lesson i saved up and got some king c/o. could not be happier besides the excess money i spent for being in a rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRrider450 View Post
Hey i purchased a revtek 3" spacer lift a little while ago from 4 WheelParts but i havent had the chance to install it. I recently read how spacer lifts may damage parts and i was curious whether or not i should put it on or maybe try and return it or sell it. I am planning on doing some off roading in the future and i hear a spacer will break parts off roading. It would be great to read any of your guys input. Thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
KING or ICONS are best way to go. which of the two is more preference than anything. they both are great products, whatever is the best deal at the time is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRrider450 View Post
yeah money is kinda tight for me but im definitely willing to save up even if it takes a long time. what kinda coil overs do you recommend and about how much do they cost?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
You can also check out OME 3" kit!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
I must respectfully offer a difference of opinion. I like spacers and they work fine for me. Even Doug from Toytech successfully ran spacers for years. He wrote about this is in "4WD Toyota Owners" about 4 or so issues back.

I started with 3" spacers then went to adjustable coilovers. I decided to go back to spacers. I am much happier with spacers. Coilovers are only one component of a system they are not the saving grace.

If you put spacers on or coilovers on and believe you can drive your truck like a Trophy Truck you will tear it up eitherway.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
WHAT!! what kind of c/o's did you have? The ride quality is like 1000 times better. i would love to see how far your truck would make it off road on a spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I must respectfully offer a difference of opinion. I like spacers and they work fine for me. Even Doug from Toytech successfully ran spacers for years. He wrote about this is in "4WD Toyota Owners" about 4 or so issues back.

I started with 3" spacers then went to adjustable coilovers. I decided to go back to spacers. I am much happier with spacers. Coilovers are only one component of a system they are not the saving grace.

If you put spacers on or coilovers on and believe you can drive your truck like a Trophy Truck you will tear it up eitherway.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

you should probably tell him to get a body lift too

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
You need to read Doug's article and then come talk to me.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas1 View Post
WHAT!! what kind of c/o's did you have? The ride quality is like 1000 times better. i would love to see how far your truck would make it off road on a spacer.
Where are you going offroading in Orlando anyways?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
1WhiteTaco has a spectacular aura about1WhiteTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Alex
1WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How much are King coilovers?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WhiteTaco View Post
How much are King coilovers?
There only like $1400 from downsouthmotorsports.com