LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shopping list for 1" lift, first gen

Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Shopping list for 1" lift, first gen

I'm making up a shopping list for a fairly conservative lift and wanted to know if I left anything out. I'm planning on setting the billies to 1.75

Bilstein 5100's front and rears.
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Rear shackle lift 1"

New rear bushings

New front bushings

I'm curios whether I would need axle shims or a suspension drop kit with such a conservative lift. Also, I'm wanting to address some driver side lean when I do my lift. Any advice on how to do that?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
so you just wanna get rid of your rake right?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's the general idea, but I also want a little bit of lift so I don't rub my tires making my crazy turn into the driveway. They're only 31x10.5 but I have to compress my suspension at near lock to pull in.

The driver side lean I'm talking about is just that. The truck is higher on the passenger side then the driver side.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gotcha, Billys set at 1.75 will do the trick and as for the taco lean...getta spacer for the driver side. a 1/4" should take care of it
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #5

Check this...there's a 1/4" spacer for 20 bucks (1) and everything else you'll need Although I recommend Down South Motor Sports for your Billys...there cheapest plus we getta discount
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...d=63&Itemid=72
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #7

Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
strongwxnc is on a distinguished road

strongwxnc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I'm making up a shopping list for a fairly conservative lift and wanted to know if I left anything out. I'm planning on setting the billies to 1.75

Bilstein 5100's front and rears.

Rear shackle lift 1"

New rear bushings

New front bushings

I'm curios whether I would need axle shims or a suspension drop kit with such a conservative lift. Also, I'm wanting to address some driver side lean when I do my lift. Any advice on how to do that?
Looks like we got the same shopping list.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 AM   #9

Just wanted to do a sanity check. For my intended lift I should set the snap ring on the front shocks to the middle groove, right?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #10

For anyone who is interested my lift is complete.

If I were going to do this again I'd do an aal lift on the rear instead. I chose a shackle lift because it was supposed to be easier. It wasn't. The bushings on the rear where completely fused to the shackle. I had to use a torch to get them out. Plus, with an aal lift you'd get the additional weight capacity.

The front was much easier then I expected. Took about 4 hours for me. Not bad since I've never done anything like that.

Prior to lift the difference between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well front to back was 1.89 in. Post lift the difference is 1.125 in. Since the rear got a straight 1 in shackle lift that means I've gotten 1.765 inches of lift on the front. Contrary to what I posted above the middle ring setting on a first gen, there are only 3 setting on the first gen shocks, is supposed to be 1.25 in. I've double checked my install, my install is correct. I'd credit the difference in the shock it's self. The front shocks where completely shot. I'm fairly confident these were the original factory shocks.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the new height of my truck. The ride is excellent, especially compared to having no functional shocks on the front.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If I were going to do this again I'd do an aal lift on the rear instead. I chose a shackle lift because it was supposed to be easier. It wasn't. The bushings on the rear where completely fused to the shackle. I had to use a torch to get them out. Plus, with an aal lift you'd get the additional weight capacity.

The front was much easier then I expected. Took about 4 hours for me. Not bad since I've never done anything like that.

Prior to lift the difference between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well front to back was 1.89 in. Post lift the difference is 1.125 in. Since the rear got a straight 1 in shackle lift that means I've gotten 1.765 inches of lift on the front. Contrary to what I posted above the middle ring setting on a first gen, there are only 3 setting on the first gen shocks, is supposed to be 1.25 in. I've double checked my install, my install is correct. I'd credit the difference in the shock it's self. The front shocks where completely shot. I'm fairly confident these were the original factory shocks.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the new height of my truck. The ride is excellent, especially compared to having no functional shocks on the front.
How are people getting 5100's for a 1st gen and setting them to 1.75"? Mine only came with 3 - 0", 1" and 2.5".
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
3fitty will become famous soon enough3fitty will become famous soon enough
Name: Lambone
3fitty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yeah, AAL would have been a good choice. I just finished my lift also. 5100's up front at 2.5 with some Skyjacker AAL out back. I didn't take any measurements before the install so I don't know how much lift I got. There's still a slight rake so I'm guessing the AAL lifted the rear about 2 inches. The unexpected benefit I got from the AAL was the disappearance of my axle wrap . It's not 100% gone but probably 99%.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
How are people getting 5100's for a 1st gen and setting them to 1.75"? Mine only came with 3 - 0", 1" and 2.5".
You don't. Settings on the 3 groove shocks are 0, 1.25, and 2.5. That's the over stock settings. If your front shocks are toast you get about another half inch over actual, since you now have working shocks too. Over original new truck ride height it's still 1.25.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't. Settings on the 3 groove shocks are 0, 1.25, and 2.5. That's the over stock settings. If your front shocks are toast you get about another half inch over actual, since you now have working shocks too. Over original new truck ride height it's still 1.25.
I'm 7/8" higher in the rear than in the front. Getting fronts set to the middle groove, do you think I'll have a noticable bro lean? I really only see that when guys do 2.5" on 1st gen fronts, so I think I'll be ok, no?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #15

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. No, I don't think the "bro" will be to bad. It's less then 1" then you should be fine. Based on your front to rear difference it looks like you have working shocks on the front so you would be getting 1.25 over your current height.

My rake was a lot more extreme due to the blown front shocks before the lift.
It will me much more noticeable if you've got the bed loaded though.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongwxnc View Post
Looks like we got the same shopping list.
Dang my shopping list also. I just got the bilsteins so I can mark them off the list.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #17

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody called me out for being stupid on this one. The shocks are not load bearing. Therefore the preload on the spring is what gives you the height. 1.75 is a result of compressing the spring. The distance compressed is about 3/4 of an inch, but that is enough to actually lift the truck 1.75 owing to the relative spring rate and the truck weight.

Sorry for being a dipshit...