Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

help driver front end clunk....

Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
help driver front end clunk....

i just went 4x4ing over the weekend and hit some deep holes.....
now i hear a crazy clunking sound only from the front end driver side..
the noise apears to be related to the stering coloum
any help would be great as i want to get this fixed before i head out this weekend

and it is not the normal stering play sound
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked under the hood to check the column out? How's the suspeneion look?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

everything looks normal......
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
pelagic pirate is on a distinguished road
pelagic pirate's Tacoma Gallery
I too have a front end drivers side clunk. I spent a week in Maine hunting (roads suck) now every single small bump I hit slow or fast I get a clunk. I checked it out best I could everything seems tight.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
BIG DADDY

mine happened in vt......same thing so you think im all good then???
this sound sounds bad....but idk........
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
BIG DADDY

this truck is turning into a p.o.s. before my very eyes now the clunk, before the crazy squeaking from the leaf packs.....i can only imagine whats next.......
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagic pirate View Post
I too have a front end drivers side clunk. I spent a week in Maine hunting (roads suck) now every single small bump I hit slow or fast I get a clunk. I checked it out best I could everything seems tight.
Is yours stock?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
BIG DADDY

no one else have these issues????
is it just my p.o.s. that is a rattle and squeak trap?????
Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
BIG DADDY

where are all the experts???????????
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I get a clunk from the passenger front of mine when hitting a bump or turning left sometimes. Its really annoying and I've yet to figure out where its coming from. I've looked several times to no avail.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a clunk on the drivers side that I can hear when I hit small bumps in the road. I've had my drivers side suspension out and re-installed and tightened and I still cannot find the reason for the noise.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
BIG DADDY

so you guys think that it will be ok for a 1000k road trip this weekend??????
i just went under there and everything looks good and tight i have no idea what happened....i mean it always had a little bit of play in the wheel...but now it is like a clunk and u can feel it in the steering wheel
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1000k... really? A million mile road trip!?!?!?

but in all seriousness, cant say for you exactly, but Ive checked everything out on mine and its been doing it for like a year with no other issues.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
pelagic pirate is on a distinguished road
pelagic pirate's Tacoma Gallery
Is yours stock? _________________

No 5100 front and rear no tsb spring
Old 05-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If the steering is wandering, you may need an alignment....For the squeeky springs, spray them off really good at a car wash.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
BIG DADDY

the steering is straight.....anything else to check????
Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
Sua Sponte! RLTW
75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st airborne
Name: charles
75thrangertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
i just went 4x4ing over the weekend and hit some deep holes.....
now i hear a crazy clunking sound only from the front end driver side..
the noise apears to be related to the stering coloum
any help would be great as i want to get this fixed before i head out this weekend

and it is not the normal stering play sound
check your sway bar. i have a procomp stage 2 6" lift . i noticed that the bar shifted over to the pass side and the bolt for the link on ds is hitting the spring on the coil. im not sure why or how. but i need to fix it today . i get a bad clunk .
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
I finally found the source of my clunk. I know the OP doesn't have 2.5" shocks but nonetheless it's possibly related.

I decided to re-valve my front Icon shocks about a week ago. I did a lot of reading and I talked to the Icon guys about doing it. Anyhow, when I finally went to discharge the shock before opening it, I discovered that one shock had leaked out all of its nitrogen pressure. I called Icon and asked how this could happen. They said it's not common but could potentially happen once in a blue moon. I found most interesting their comment that if the shock did lose its nitrogen, a KNOCKING noise would result.

So I recharged the shock after installing different shims and a new charge port. No more knocking noise! I would imagine any mono tube shock could experience this issue if it became discharged. Simple way to check is remove the coil and try to compress it by hand. If it doesn't rebound back to full length there is no nitrogen. Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #20

I had that issue with an aftermarket shock on my quad. The threads of the top cap and main body loosened up, blew out a bunch of oil, and lost the nitrogen pressure. It was clunking horribly after it did it also. I might have to check that on mine, but find it unlikely since I've got the OME sealed nitrocharger shocks which are non-serviceable/rebuildable.