Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

SR5 shocks to 5100s - How much difference in feel?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 shocks to 5100s - How much difference in feel?

I have non trd shocks in the front and regular trd bisteins in the back. Why, that is a different discussion, but anyway I dont mind the ride right now. Its fairly soft, but I succumbed to temptation and got 5100s for each corner. Now I am having second thoughts. I know they are better but will it be alot rougher ride? I hear all sorts of opinions, and I guess it depends on peoples expectations, but I still would like people's opinion. Maybe from someone who had regular sr5 shocks and went to 5100s

Second question. I hit the bump stops more than I would like. I dont have, or qualify for the TSB so my option is a AAL. Question is if I dont want to sacrifice ride comfort by adding the AAL will the 5100s help not hit the bump stops as much? I would think so.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
B_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brandon
B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you qualify for the TSB?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta be under warranty still.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I have billys in the back, but I can't comment on the ride vs. sr5 because I installed them the same day I got my leaf spring tsb done. So the ride is a little bit stiffer, but I like it better...doesn't ride like a station wagon anymore.

If you are planning on doing the install yourself (install on the rear shocks is real easy), I'd say throw them on there and see how you like it. Worst-case scenario you can take them off. The whole install only takes about 30 minutes.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
the 5100's will give you a BETTER ride. if you set the fronts at .85 it should still ride like factory. i would get a 1" AAL and set at .85 and youll be much better than stock. if you want more lift and dont mind a little stiffness get a 1.5"AAL and set the fronts to 1.75
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I had the stock black shocks on the back of my truck with a single AAL and it rode so rough! I got the 5100's and it didnt change much. then I swapped out my AAL and got the wheelrs 3 AAL pack. Its soo much smoother now and Im very happy with it.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Tebow Apologist

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I had the stock black shocks on the back of my truck with a single AAL and it rode so rough! I got the 5100's and it didnt change much. then I swapped out my AAL and got the wheelrs 3 AAL pack. Its soo much smoother now and Im very happy with it.

That is interesting. I assume the wheelers pack doesnt have the big overload leaf, and that is the difference?

Also, another poster said that you can get a 1 inch aal. I have not seen one. Who sells these?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I think toytec sells the 1" but not sure.

yea, the wheelers pack adds 3 leafs but you remove the OL leaf. Its great, its a really soft ride and Im still able to haul crap if I need to, not as much as before...but that wasnt a concern. but this 3 leaf pack kept me at the same height in the rear as the single all plus the OL leaf. so minus 2, plus 3 and im still the same height
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Bodete is on a distinguished road
Bodete's Tacoma Gallery
I had the stock sr5 shocks and up graded to the 5100's front and rear. On the front I also added eibach springs and set the 5100's to 0 which gave me a 1.25" lift in front. It was a big difference. It's much better, the ride is firm but not stiff. The stock suspension is too soft. I don't have the TSB done yet. I'm getting it done next week. I would recommend the 5100's.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
I went from SR5 shocks to 5100's set at 2.5. I love them. I don't slam my head into the window when I pull into a rough parking lot now
Old 05-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Tebow Apologist

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodete View Post
I had the stock sr5 shocks and up graded to the 5100's front and rear. On the front I also added eibach springs and set the 5100's to 0 which gave me a 1.25" lift in front. It was a big difference. It's much better, the ride is firm but not stiff. The stock suspension is too soft. I don't have the TSB done yet. I'm getting it done next week. I would recommend the 5100's.

IF you set them at zero and still got 1.25 of lift then the lift must be in the springs? Just curious.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
i have 5100s up front only, and starting to believe its a bit too hard for my liking and would consider going to trd bilsteins all around. granted i also swapped in trd off road coils at the same time upgrading from my regular shocks and reg coils.

its my work truck that i drive about 500 miles a week in around town and highway, id like for it to be as comfortable as can be.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
HUGE difference especially while on washboard roads
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Bodete is on a distinguished road
Bodete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
IF you set them at zero and still got 1.25 of lift then the lift must be in the springs? Just curious.
Yes the 1.25" lift was from the springs. From everything that I read prerunners get about 1.6" lift and the 4x4 gets only around 1" of lift with the eibach springs and 5100's set to 0. I guess the front end is heavier on the 4x4.