1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good lift for street queen

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bevans, May 28, 2010.

1. May 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    bevans

bevans [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    I have an 07 prerunner that I would like to lift. I drive about 30k mi./yr for work mostly hwy. I have an atv for trails so I will NOT be off roading the truck. I just like the look of lifted trucks but would like to maintain a decent ride.

I'm new to lifting trucks and cant decide which lift to go with. I was thinking 5100's @ 1.75 and toytec 2" AAL originally but, now I'm thinking maybe the pro comp 3 in. lift w/coils not spacers or the toytec version. I do not want to have to replace UCA's and dont want or need an expensive lift since i'm not off roading. Any help is appreciated.

2. May 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    kbx10

kbx10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    The beginning of something big...
    Tint, Autopage Security
    Great question...I am interested too :popcorn:

bet there are a bunch of threads on this already so be prepared to get flak

3. May 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The Biilies are a good choice for your application. Toytec is also a good choice but may be "overkill". IMHO, I would avoid Pro-Comp.

4. May 28, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Bilstiens are your best option, like Ben said the Toytec may be overkill with the adjustable coilovers.

Pro Comp really doesn't have the "zone" yet for our trucks for the 3" lift. Fabtech/Pro Comp 6" lift they have down pat for our trucks.

5. May 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    bevans

Member:
    GA
    Yea.. I have been searching for a couple months and it seems that whats good for off roading is over kill for street only use and most people on here off road.

Thanks. I see threads where pro comp is referred to as pro crap but I wasnt sure if that was for the off roading abilities.

6. May 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    bevans

Member:
    GA

7. May 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,

8. May 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I'm in the same boat as you. I don't ever take my truck off road, but would like a small lift for looks. I have pretty much decided to go with billies on all 4 corners, Eibach 1.6 springs with the billies set at 0, and Toytec 1.5" add a leafs in the back (I have non TSB springs).

The ride will be a little firmer than factory, but not too bad. The smaller lift will also keep me out of "i'm going to need" new UCA's territory.

I've slowly started ordering the parts and I hope to have it all installed by mid summer.

9. May 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    bevans

Member:
    GA
    so you dont think spacers would be too harsh? I love the price of the spacer lift but I spend alot of time on the road and would like a good ride. Also would I need new uca's with a spacer lift? Thanks.

28 guage- yea I was looking at 5100's but just want to make sure before I order anything.

10. May 28, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    While spacers are certainly the cheapest way to go, I think most people on this forum prefer not to go that route. Rough ride, I think?

11. May 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    bevans

Member:
    GA
    Does the toytec lift that I posted a link to require new shocks/struts?

12. May 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have both styles of spacers if anyone decides to go that route. Got top of strut in between strut and frame and ones that go in between the coil and top of strut where you have to take strut apart to get them in. IIRC, both are 2". Can supply pics if anyone interested. Inside the coil ones are unused. Should be fine for on road action. Offroad, spacers don't allow good articulation and can break lower strut mounts besides being a little stiffer ride.

13. May 28, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    tdels14

tdels14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 crewcab longbox trd sport
    i am in the same boat, (mainly street driving) so i went with the revtek spacer lift with the AAL in the rear. the ride is a little stiffer, but nothing to go complain about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. May 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    bevans

Member:
    GA
    Nice.

what size lift, wheels and tires? Did you have to buy new uca's?

15. May 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Just my $.02

I have a set of spacers on my Taco... and an AAL in the rear. Doesn't change the stock ride by much... IMO, I could barely notice unless I'm off-road - which still works fine off-road.

I understand that spacers do put a little extra pressure on the UCAs, but I've never had a prob in over 40k miles.

So, I mean if you want to save money, have the look, with about the same ride and capabilities... Go for it. I think I paid a total of 300 for a 3" spacer lift from www.suspensionconnection.com - had a buddy install for 200.

The only reason I'd get the coilovers is if I wanted to add an aftermarket front bumper with added weight or something like that...

I dunno - all depends on your needs.

16. May 28, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    dubstar2003

dubstar2003 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    Projector Headlights Westin Bullguard Westin Nurf Bars Custom Hood Lifts Black'd Out Badges Alpine Headunit w/Ipod Satoshi Grille 6000K HID'S BILSTIEN 5100'S UP FRONT
    huyissuperman, when you say you can adjust it to a 4" lift, what kit/shocks/aal are you using? Is it the toytec/bilsteins/aal? I also have a prerunner with the tss 20's but I maybe move to a 22" wheel without having to sacrifice too much rubber for the bigger wheel.

17. May 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Spacers are more of a crap ride off road. They should be fine for a street queen, a little stiffer probably but not horrible... I hear they are horrible on washboard dirt roads mainly.

And yeah, get the 'top of the strut' kind, no need to loose shock travel.

18. Jun 1, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

It's a truck. I expect it to be a little rough anyway. If I wanted a smooth ride off-road, I would have gotten a Range Rover or a Caddy.

19. Jun 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You wheel a Caddy off-road? Awesome.

20. Jun 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

If I could afford an escalade SUV or truck - I'd probably give it a go once or twice.

Products Discussed in

To Top