Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shackle bolts seized in the old leaf springs

Old 05-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Shackle bolts seized in the old leaf springs

So I went to install my new leafs today and when I got to removing the rear shackle bolt, it was seized in the leaf spring. Can I just get a new bolt and cut the old one out or do I need all new shackles? I plan on getting some new main eye bolts just in case those are seized too (I never checked them).

Here is the one that was stuck:

thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
if your shackles are the same as mine you have to remove both bolts at the same time - they are attached to the plate on the outside.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
if your shackles are the same as mine you have to remove both bolts at the same time - they are attached to the plate on the outside.
Are you serious? Man that sucks because I put everything back together to drive it home today!

Ugh, I also kinda messed up the threads on the bolt pounding on it, but a file will fix them up.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Are you serious? Man that sucks because I put everything back together to drive it home today!

Ugh, I also kinda messed up the threads on the bolt pounding on it, but a file will fix them up.

Can anyone else confirm this?
i sense you are doubting me...refer to diagram attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf comp.pdf (28.6 KB, 244 views)
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
braaap

okay, I just went out and looked at it and it appears that Lisa is right. From what I can tell, the bolts are at least pressed into the plate and both need to be removed at the same time.

I sure hope the main eye bolts are free since my truck is extremely clean underneath, no rust to speak of.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
braaap

Quote:
i sense you are doubting me...refer to diagram attached below.
Thank you, Im relieved I don't have to buy new shackles.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
okay, I just went out and looked at it and it appears that Lisa is right. From what I can tell, the bolts are at least pressed into the plate and both need to be removed at the same time.

I sure hope the main eye bolts are free since my truck is extremely clean underneath, no rust to speak of.
grab a big hammer, just watch the threads and dont mess them up too much. had to polish mine up a bit after we got them off but they were still perfectly usable.

and the front bolts, i know someone else mentioned how awful it was to get them off but mine came off without a problem (air guns and pb blaster helped im sure) but i had new bolts waiting so i didn't reuse them.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
grab a big hammer, just watch the threads and dont mess them up too much. had to polish mine up a bit after we got them off but they were still perfectly usable.

and the front bolts, i know someone else mentioned how awful it was to get them off but mine came off without a problem (air guns and pb blaster helped im sure) but i had new bolts waiting so i didn't reuse them.
Ok, good to know since you live in MT with all the snow and salt. I will most likely finish the install tomorrow at my buddies house.

Ill let you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I have never seen a toyota that clean underneith. On mine you can barley tell that some bolt have threads on them. God damn road salt.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwild View Post
I have never seen a toyota that clean underneith. On mine you can barley tell that some bolt have threads on them. God damn road salt.
lol, I sometimes take for granted the nice weather we have around here.