Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Performance Question

Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
bowhuntingaddict is on a distinguished road
bowhuntingaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Performance Question

I'm new to lifts and no next to nothing about them, and I have a couple of questions. I'm going to be purchasing the toytec 3" lift w/front spacers, and I'm wondering how this will affect my trucks performance (mainly offroad). I would also like to know if anything else needs to be purchased with this lift. I have an 05 LB SR5 tacoma.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Its a no brainer that with the added 3" lift you will see better off-road performance. Add some tires to that and you can go alot of places. I took my truck out when it was stock and did some wheeling that was way above its head and it did decent. But when I did that same train with a 3" lift and some 285 BFG AT it was a beast.

You are also gonna lift the rear too right?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Yes I'm going to lift the rear too. I wanted to get a suspension lift, but my dad wont let me spend the money on it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you do specers, not recommended, go with billy 5100 as well. If your looking for great performance, which spacers will give you next to none, go with a coilover kit. Better ride, better performance, and will not hurt your truck like spacers could, especially since you will be wheeling

Edit: ignore my first sentence. Ditch the spacers and just go with the billys
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntingaddict View Post
Yes I'm going to lift the rear too. I wanted to get a suspension lift, but my dad wont let me spend the money on it.
Spacers are a suspension lift....
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
For $70 more you can get this

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Avoid the spacers if you can..........
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
just say "NO" to spacers

esp if you planning on doing some offroad. struts w/ spacers have been known to break going over pot holes. now imagine off road...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Thanks for all the input, and if you have anymore advice feel free to share. I was also wondering how much it would cost to get this intalled?

(Would I need new front shocks if I went with the kit with the coilovers?)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Almost there

Coilovers come with new shocks and install would be free. Find a couple buddys to help with the install its very easy and straight forward especially if you go with the coilover since the springs and shocks are already assembled
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Coilovers come with new shocks and install would be free. Find a couple buddys to help with the install its very easy and straight forward especially if you go with the coilover since the springs and shocks are already assembled
Yep. To original poster, just go invest $100 on a jackstand, torque wrench, and a metric socket set and do it yourself. Spend a couple hours doing some installation research on here, lots of people have done 'do it yourself' writeups with pictures; ask questions on here after doing some research and we'll help you out.

There's really only about 7 nuts/bolts you have to deal with on each side after you take the wheel off. No special tricks or skills required and you'll probably learn alot and save $$$ by doing it yourself.

It's a 'bolt on procedure', just remove remove the stock unit and install the Toytec c/o in the reverse order = 3" lift.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
also dont forget to factor in the cost of an alignment afterwards
Old 06-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
So if i bought the $300 lift with the coilovers I would have to buy new front shocks, right?