Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift question.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
gopens48 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
gopens48's Tacoma Gallery
Lift question.

Alright so i need you guys opinion on the lift i got. On the recommendation of a friend of mine, i purchased this lift kit for my 06 tacoma: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
My friend recommended this to me because since my truck only has 30k miles on it, he said that i didn't need coilovers, and when i got to the point that i did, i could just order coilovers and throw them on. He said it would save a little money in the long run.

After looking around this site a little, i guess i'm just curious if my friend led me wrong, and if i should have just gone with something like the OME suspension lift kit from toytec? Is just using the spacers going to cause me trouble? I'd rather spend $700 on something that wont cause further problems, than $250 on something that causes me all sorts of issues.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I just recieved my lift today, and if needed, i would like to return it before i open it or anything.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
It kinda depends on what you want out of it. Looks? spacer is fine. I hear that spacers make for a worse than stock ride off road whereas coilovers definitely make an improvement off road.

Spacers basically stretch out your stock suspension. Coilovers are basically a new suspension.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to off-road the truck, I would not put the spacers on. They extende the stock shocks and give you very little down-travel, so it's easy to top out the shocks and cause damage.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Well...your friends math abilities suck....because 250 dollars + 750 dollars is more than 750 dollars.

I wouldn't get something for a "right now" thing. Save up and get the right lift for the job. if you aren't a big off roader- the spacer lift shoudl be fine. if you do want to wheel your rig...you would have been way better off with coilovers.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
dont get spacers. i speak from experience.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
gopens48 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
gopens48's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you guys for your input. I'm still torn on what to do. I'm not big into wheeling, and do limited off-roading, mainly just to get a little ways up the mountain to do some hunting or fishing, and even then 99% of the time its just on a dirt road. After talking to a rep from toytec, he seems to think that the spacer lift would be fine, as i'm doing it basically for looks. He also speaks very highly of this lift kit, as long as, like you guys said, i'm not doing very much off roading.

cantac, just curious, what was your bad experience? What problems did you have?

Thanks again for the input guys!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
it rode like shit and everytime i went off road they would bottom out. even hitting a speed bump in the mall parking lot was rough. lots of guys have broken their shocks off roading. just save your money for something better
Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
teeoffdang is on a distinguished road
teeoffdang's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,
If you are planning to do off-roading then I wouldn't go with the spacers lift. But if you are not, then it would be fine. I do have a set of 3" spacers lift for sale if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens48 View Post
Thank you guys for your input. I'm still torn on what to do. I'm not big into wheeling, and do limited off-roading, mainly just to get a little ways up the mountain to do some hunting or fishing, and even then 99% of the time its just on a dirt road. After talking to a rep from toytec, he seems to think that the spacer lift would be fine, as i'm doing it basically for looks. He also speaks very highly of this lift kit, as long as, like you guys said, i'm not doing very much off roading.

cantac, just curious, what was your bad experience? What problems did you have?

Thanks again for the input guys!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Fishin is on a distinguished road
Fishin's Tacoma Gallery
How hard and how much is it to lift a standard Tacoma to get the look of a Prerunner? I know the wheels are larger and the suspension is different but I was wondering. Im finding it hard to find a 4 cyl. Prerunner, need some fuel mileage, but I do like the look better. I wouldn't be taking it off road. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
I just drove a 2009 with 10K miles and 33s and that lift.

I was surprised how well it rode even though the stock suspension is junk.