1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift question.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gopens48, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    gopens48

gopens48 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5
    Alright so i need you guys opinion on the lift i got. On the recommendation of a friend of mine, i purchased this lift kit for my 06 tacoma: My friend recommended this to me because since my truck only has 30k miles on it, he said that i didn't need coilovers, and when i got to the point that i did, i could just order coilovers and throw them on. He said it would save a little money in the long run.

After looking around this site a little, i guess i'm just curious if my friend led me wrong, and if i should have just gone with something like the OME suspension lift kit from toytec? Is just using the spacers going to cause me trouble? I'd rather spend $700 on something that wont cause further problems, than $250 on something that causes me all sorts of issues.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I just recieved my lift today, and if needed, i would like to return it before i open it or anything.

2. Jun 4, 2010 at 2:09 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    It kinda depends on what you want out of it. Looks? spacer is fine. I hear that spacers make for a worse than stock ride off road whereas coilovers definitely make an improvement off road.

Spacers basically stretch out your stock suspension. Coilovers are basically a new suspension.

3. Jun 4, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you are going to off-road the truck, I would not put the spacers on. They extende the stock shocks and give you very little down-travel, so it's easy to top out the shocks and cause damage.

4. Jun 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well...your friends math abilities suck....because 250 dollars + 750 dollars is more than 750 dollars.

I wouldn't get something for a "right now" thing. Save up and get the right lift for the job. if you aren't a big off roader- the spacer lift shoudl be fine. if you do want to wheel your rig...you would have been way better off with coilovers.

5. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    dont get spacers. i speak from experience.

6. Jun 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    gopens48

gopens48 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5
    Thank you guys for your input. I'm still torn on what to do. I'm not big into wheeling, and do limited off-roading, mainly just to get a little ways up the mountain to do some hunting or fishing, and even then 99% of the time its just on a dirt road. After talking to a rep from toytec, he seems to think that the spacer lift would be fine, as i'm doing it basically for looks. He also speaks very highly of this lift kit, as long as, like you guys said, i'm not doing very much off roading.

cantac, just curious, what was your bad experience? What problems did you have?

Thanks again for the input guys!

7. Jun 4, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    it rode like shit and everytime i went off road they would bottom out. even hitting a speed bump in the mall parking lot was rough. lots of guys have broken their shocks off roading. just save your money for something better

8. Jun 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    teeoffdang

teeoffdang Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma sr5 sport
    Hi,
    If you are planning to do off-roading then I wouldn't go with the spacers lift. But if you are not, then it would be fine. I do have a set of 3" spacers lift for sale if you are interested.

9. Jun 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    Fishin

Fishin Member

Member:
    How hard and how much is it to lift a standard Tacoma to get the look of a Prerunner? I know the wheels are larger and the suspension is different but I was wondering. Im finding it hard to find a 4 cyl. Prerunner, need some fuel mileage, but I do like the look better. I wouldn't be taking it off road. Thanks.

10. Jun 4, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    I just drove a 2009 with 10K miles and 33s and that lift.

I was surprised how well it rode even though the stock suspension is junk.

Products Discussed in

To Top