Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coilovers vs struts

Old 06-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
teddygrahams is on a distinguished road
teddygrahams's Tacoma Gallery
Coilovers vs struts

what are they two big differences in these two besides the obvious. what are the disadvantages and advantages to both? im trying to decide what to get... thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
bump
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you can put a strut on a Taco without totally modifying all of the suspension: a strut basically supports the top of the wheel in place and acts as a shock absorber; a coilover style system uses an upper control arm (UCA) to support the top of the wheel and the coilover then holds the vehicle height and is the shock absorber. Strut systems have no UCA, just a lower control arm (LCA).

Maybe you are pondering the difference between an adjustable coilover (c/o) vs a non adjustable c/o..?

Personally I like the adjustable because I can change the front end lift up or down as I please, I can crank one side up a little more to level the truck side-to-side etc, and I recently incresed my rear lift from 1" to 1.5" and just adjusted the front accordingly to level it back out.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
taco come stock with a strut coilover system. which are pretty much the same and im curious to as what makes them different if you were to buy them both aftermarket.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Adjustable, rebuildable, valving, price, looks, performance.