Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New with Lift kit questions

Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
SilverStreekTaco is on a distinguished road
SilverStreekTaco's Tacoma Gallery
New with Lift kit questions

hey guys whatsup just found this site from online and looks like a fun and active one.. I had some questions about getting a lift kit on my truck i was looking at the 3" toytec and was wondering if anyone has gotten the
3" Pro Basic Kit or the 3” Lift Coil Kit with AAL

i dont really know the difference between them but i know that i would like a smooth ride without any squeeking or noise coming from under my truck.. im kind of a picky guy and i hate hearing things that dont sound right. My style of riding is basically towing a boat and also putting dirtbikes in the back, i havnt ever taken my baby 4 wheeling but if i do it will be very minimum.

What lift do you guys recommend?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Ask for forgiveness than permission
ShorelineFab will become famous soon enoughShorelineFab will become famous soon enough

ShorelineFab's Tacoma Gallery
Good question !

I'm on stand-by to hear a response!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The main difference between the two is that the Pro Basic kit uses spacers. The coil lift uses coils.

The Coil lift (OME Coils) will give you better ride comfort and suspension travel than the spacer lift. But since you said that off roading is not a priority, the Spacer lift is more than adequate for your needs.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Get the coils.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about

20taco07's Tacoma Gallery
the coil lift is better by far and at the same time cost more, i wont ever put on spacers on my truck. they ruin the ride quality.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20taco07 View Post
the coil lift is better by far and at the same time cost more, i wont ever put on spacers on my truck. they ruin the ride quality.

+1 on the spacers. Doodoo! Get coilovers for the best ride.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
Ok so I am also new with Lift kits and i have a question. I have the stock bilstein shocks that came with the '08 TRD package. If I was to get the toytec 3" coil lift kit would I need to replace/upgrade my current shocks? Or is that not a large enough difference in hight to need to upgrade.. Also with installing a lift kit what other upgrades need to take place to keep the trucks integrity at highest potential?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0b2a View Post
Ok so I am also new with Lift kits and i have a question. I have the stock bilstein shocks that came with the '08 TRD package. If I was to get the toytec 3" coil lift kit would I need to replace/upgrade my current shocks? Or is that not a large enough difference in hight to need to upgrade.. Also with installing a lift kit what other upgrades need to take place to keep the trucks integrity at highest potential?
no need to replace your shocks. other upgrades include (but may not be necessary) are uca's and diff drop. your pretty much good to go with a 3" lift and an alignment
Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0b2a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
no need to replace your shocks. other upgrades include (but may not be necessary) are uca's and diff drop. your pretty much good to go with a 3" lift and an alignment
Yes. You do need to replace your shocks. The OEM shocks on the Tacoma cant control the 3" lift springs spring rate. You will top out like crazy.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the spacer lift because I wanted a stiffer ride (can it on the nasty thoughts guys )-- than stock--it was just too "cushy" for me, didn't ride like a truck. I'm very happy with the spacers, and couldn't afford the coils anyway, but now it rides more like a truck should! Still not as good as my 2000, but close. No squeaks or noise--I certainly wouldn't call my lift "doodoo."
Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes. You do need to replace your shocks. The OEM shocks on the Tacoma cant control the 3" lift springs spring rate. You will top out like crazy.
he has the bilsteins. anyone else want to chime in on this?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
he has the bilsteins. anyone else want to chime in on this?
Ok. It doesnt mention that in his post, or profile. If they are the OEM Bilstiens, he SHOULD replace them as they are not valved for the OME springs. They will give a poor ride, with very little damping control. If he has the 5100 series Billies on the front, he should be fine then.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
`

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ok. It doesnt mention that in his post, or profile. If they are the OEM Bilstiens, he SHOULD replace them as they are not valved for the OME springs. They will give a poor ride, with very little damping control. If he has the 5100 series Billies on the front, he should be fine then.
sure it does
Old 06-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
sure it does
LMAO! I am BLIND!!!!
Sorry. Regardless, the OEM Billies cant comfortably control the OME springs.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpspowell View Post
No matter what you're running for suspension, for hauling loads and towing it's hard to beat a set of Air Lift levelers.
True.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I have the toytec with the drops and factory trd shocks. No squeaks or problems with anything.

Chris4x4 and or Rick - When you say 5100's does that refer to the factory Bilstiens or is that the aftermarket adjustable ones? If it is the factory billies what is it that is bad? Are they not long enough?
5100's refer to the aftermarket adjustable ones. A lot of people claim they ride much better than stock. And factory bilstiens ride really rough with OME lift, I have heard.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
And factory bilstiens ride really rough with OME lift, I have heard.
This is absolutly correct.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Chris4x4 and or Rick - When you say 5100's does that refer to the factory Bilstiens or is that the aftermarket adjustable ones? If it is the factory billies what is it that is bad? Are they not long enough?
the 5100's are much different from the OEM. They have a larger oil capacity, and ( I was told from Bilstien) they have a poly top out bumper on the inside of the shock. Front 5100's come in a 3 position adjustable model. The OEM Bilstiens cant handle the spring rate on the OME springs. They are valved for the OEM Toyota springs. They can over heat and loose all damping ability when used with OME springs.