Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Timbrens Harsh ride on 2010 DC TRD Sport!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
StandupTaco is on a distinguished road
StandupTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Timbrens Harsh ride on 2010 DC TRD Sport!

I installed these things on a reccomendation from a friend who owns a Tacoma and I wish I hadn't. They were installed professionally with the required gap and man, oh man what a pounding they make on a less then perfect road with no weight whatsoever in the bed. Even with just me driving on some bumps in the road the truck hits hard, hard enough to feel it in my back. These things have no soft lead in transition at all, in other words, non-progressive! I took them off and went stock until I figure out something else. On a smooth road it's fine but any bump whatsoever you'll feel it. Anyone else find them rough? I took them back today for a refund!
FYI, my truck is Canadian so it has a 4 leaf pack. I just installed a Cap on the bed and even though it's still higher in the rear the leafs are almost straight. Shouldn't there be some arch there?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get the TSB done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandupTaco View Post
I installed these things on a reccomendation from a friend who owns a Tacoma and I wish I hadn't. They were installed professionally with the required gap and man, oh man what a pounding they make on a less then perfect road with no weight whatsoever in the bed. Even with just me driving on some bumps in the road the truck hits hard, hard enough to feel it in my back. These things have no soft lead in transition at all, in other words, non-progressive! I took them off and went stock until I figure out something else. On a smooth road it's fine but any bump whatsoever you'll feel it. Anyone else find them rough? I took them back today for a refund!
FYI, my truck is Canadian so it has a 4 leaf pack. I just installed a Cap on the bed and even though it's still higher in the rear the leafs are almost straight. Shouldn't there be some arch there?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
No need for the TSB as it came with a 4 leaf pack anyways! I would think if I added another TSB leaf it would ride like crap, No?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With the vehicle sitting unloaded. What is the gap between the timbrens and the axle (where they contact)?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
The gap was close to 1 1/2". It's what they called for and I thought there was a spacer in there but there wasn't as I asked them to take it out to see if that would help. Was wondering if they ordered the right set of Timbrens and they ordered what it was calling for, TORTUN4, for the 4 leaf pack...Not sure what the 3 leaf pack would be like?

Here's the link for it!

http://timbren.com/timbren-applicati...des/toyota.htm
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Huh. Everything sounds right. But if you are unloaded, you really shouldn't be hitting them unless doing some big whoops or jumping. Normal driving should not have them come into play.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
That was my understanding also! I guess the Tacoma leaf pack flexes enough (soft) to bring them into play a little earlier then expected.
Like I mentioned the road isn't perfect but it's far from jumping or anything along those lines, just some unevenness/imperfections/bumps in the road surface....
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
You said your leafs are almost flat? maybe you could post a picture so someone could check them out. Maybe they're worn prematurely.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Can't imagine why you're getting so much contact on the Timbrens?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
You said your leafs are almost flat? maybe you could post a picture so someone could check them out. Maybe they're worn prematurely.
New Truck only 2 months old and the Timbrens were installed 1 week from new. I assumed with the 4 leaf pack that's the way they were. I will post a pic when I get a chance over the next couple of days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Can't imagine why you're getting so much contact on the Timbrens?
Me neither! I've since took them back for a refund so onto other options in the near future.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
i hated mine when i had them, they were on the truck for two days. going over speed bumps felt like you were getting rear ended.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
i have mine with the all pro 3" leaf pack and I love them
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
I think they need more gap so if you installed an AAL in the back then that would raise the rear more and give more clearance so they don't come into play so soon. Stock suspension is too soft and they hit too soon and too abrupt. That's just my 2 cents!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think they need more gap so if you installed an AAL in the back then that would raise the rear more and give more clearance so they don't come into play so soon. Stock suspension is too soft and they hit too soon and too abrupt. That's just my 2 cents!
i had deaver 10 pack so keep splainin
Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #16
I didn't know they made such a thing. I've heard of airbags but not Hydraulic Bump stops!

Well Bajamoon, if yours still bottom out with that then there's no more splainin I can do. They just didn't work like I expected, hit too hard and too often where my back couldn't take it. When my kids were in the back it hit sooner so it was no good. I don't recommend them at all on the Taco! Again IMHO!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
huntingskeetman is on a distinguished road
huntingskeetman's Tacoma Gallery
I was considering the Timbren's also for my 06 Access Cab 4x4, but ended up going for the Roadmaster Active Suspension instead. Just got kit this week and will be installling next week, along with some TRD Bilstein's all around I got from somebody on this forum. I got screwed by Toyota, who wouldlnl't do TSB mod because I was out of warranty by 3mos last spring, so I decided to come up with my own remedy. The TRD shocks should give me a little firmer ride than standard and the Roadmaster only kicks in when loaded, so it shouldn't affect ride quality around town.