Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100s @ 2.5" vs. ToyTec 3"

Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Bilstein 5100s @ 2.5" vs. ToyTec 3"

So..... I NEED YOUR HELP

I need some knowledge on lifts and suspension... mine is all beginner and amateur.

I am going to do 1 of 2 things for a lift....

1)
5100s in front @ 2.5", rear 5100 with 2.5" AAL

2)
ToyTec 3" coil lift in front, rear 2.5" AAL

I am looking more for look, than performance.
I will be using this as every day driver, camping trips (light off roading), and definitely muddin'.... but no rock crawling.

I just don't know about which is better, which causes more problems, which rides smoother. I am most worried about future problems from stress....

Can you help me out fellas?
Give me the goods!

Thanks

Cheers
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
For option 1: Do you really want that much rake? My billy's are set at 1.75 and I was level before I got my TSB rear leafs.

I think most people just get a 1.5" AAL to level with the billy's at 2.5.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
I would have gone with the toytec coilovers as they use the 5100's (I think).. Also gives you more flexability.. As you can adjust yourself.. I have 5100's on now @ 1.75.. I want to raise to 2.5.. Gotta take the springs into the shop as I don't have a spring compressor..
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
I think you can rent a coil compressor.... not sure. May save you some time and money...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
you can rent a coil compressor at autozone
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Lateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant future

Name: Steve
Lateralus's Tacoma Gallery
The first lift I did to my truck was the 5100's on all 4 corners. I had the the fronts @2.5" and then I had the TSB done with the Toytech 1.5" aal. I liked the way it drove. A little stiff in the front (compared to stock). The only thing I didn't like was the rake of the truck (ass end hi @ 1")

But because I had the billys up front, I got the Toytech C/O's for the 5100"s.. I LOVE this set up. Rides a lot smoother.. And it now sites level.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
The first lift I did to my truck was the 5100's on all 4 corners. I had the the fronts @2.5" and then I had the TSB done with the Toytech 1.5" aal. I liked the way it drove. A little stiff in the front (compared to stock). The only thing I didn't like was the rake of the truck (ass end hi @ 1")

But because I had the billys up front, I got the Toytech C/O's for the 5100"s.. I LOVE this set up. Rides a lot smoother.. And it now sites level.
UCAs? If so, which one, if not, how's the alignment?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
Lateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant future

Name: Steve
Lateralus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
UCAs? If so, which one, if not, how's the alignment?
I got the Light Racing one's. Toytech had a special on them a couple months ago and I went for it. The alignment is @ spec for the truck. No pulling or wonder at all.

I'm sure you have read that at 3' you need to swap out the UCA's for some aftermarket one's?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
MadeInMaine

EMS:
I ended up doing Bilstein 5100s all around... 2.5 in front
and ToyTec AAL 2" in rear... but I think it ended up more like 2.5 in rear, which I was very happy with!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
Katzo production
leo08pirate has a spectacular aura aboutleo08pirate has a spectacular aura about

Name: Leo
leo08pirate's Tacoma Gallery
pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
I ended up doing Bilstein 5100s all around... 2.5 in front
and ToyTec AAL 2" in rear... but I think it ended up more like 2.5 in rear, which I was very happy with!
do you have pictures
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
MadeInMaine

EMS:
I will post some tomorrow or monday