Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

A VERY Smooth Ride !

Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
A VERY Smooth Ride !

Well, I'm here once again lookin for your experience to benefit me .

Ok, stock suspension on an 06 db 4x4, here's what I want.

I've currently got Cooper 265/70/R16's and they ride good (street tires). In a couple weeks going to put some Goodyear Duratrax 265/75/R16's on.

Here's the problem. When I went to order them, dude told me I had a choice of 6 ply or 10 ply. He said the big difference is going to be in the ride. He said that it doesnt matter which tire I choose 6 or 10 ply, I'm going to notice the difference, it will be a ruffer/stiffer ride.

So I asked him what I can do to improve my ride when I put these tires on, he took a peek under my wheel well and said "You can start by replacing those piece of sh&% shocks on there.

Now guys, about the only 4 wheelin I do is durring hunting season ridin up and down muddy roads and creeks. Most of my driving is going to be on the street. Whats a good shock ? I know nothing about this stuff. To me, compared to my Nissian, this Taco rides ruff. How can I get a smooth ride when I slap these Goodyears on ? Prob going with the 6 ply since he said my ride wont be as stiff as the 10's.

Thanks guys -
Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a double cab and put on Duratrac 265/75 16's back in October and Bilstein 5100's that i got from Downsouth back in Feb or March and the truck has a nice ride.
You can definately notice a differance with the new shocks.

Denis
Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you want any lift on it?

Those 5100's are going to be better shocks - especially if you leave them at the '0' setting. They are adjustable but the more you adjust up, the stiffer the ride gets. And they are only $300 for all 4 corners.

If you want lift AND a soft highway ride, check out the OME kit for $700:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Wheeler's Offroad Tech Rep
JohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant futureJohnnyK. has a brilliant future

Name: Johnny
JohnnyK.'s Tacoma Gallery
6 ply tire will ride much smoother and provide better off-road traction than a 10 ply.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
hmm, so all 3 of ya tell me the same. What makes these 5100's so good. Just quality ?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quality is good,price,4 setting height adjustable,
Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Army:
Ya'll got them on your truck? Could you tell a difference in the stock shocks when you put them on ? Really, now dont lie to me......could you notice a diff ?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
Ya'll got them on your truck? Could you tell a difference in the stock shocks when you put them on ? Really, now dont lie to me......could you notice a diff ?
Yes, I could definitely tell when i swapped them for the stock trd's.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #10

Army:
Thanks for the info guys ! Really appreciate the help.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #11

Army:
One more question:
Can you adjust these 5100's pretty easy ? How so ?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
One more question:
Out of the box,yes.I used needle nose pliers to work the clip out of the
grove and slide it into the grove/lift setting that i wanted.
Note: Do Not remove the clip from the shock body...Slide it.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One more question:
It is easy to adjust them, but they have to be removed from the vehicle in order to do so. you also need a spring compressor any time you want to change them.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #14

Army:
Awesome

U guys are great man.

Alright. So if I'm going to replace all 4 shocks I need the 5100's right ? So just order me 4 and give them to my tire man and I'll never ride the same.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100's extend up to 3.5 correct? Now lets say I did extend them to 3.5 is there any other compnants I would need to complete the lift?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShasBoo View Post
The 5100's extend up to 3.5 correct? Now lets say I did extend them to 3.5 is there any other compnants I would need to complete the lift?
NO, they only go up to 2.5 and even so I think they sag out to about a 2" lift with factory pre-runner springs. You won't need anything else other than an alignment following the install.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
U guys are great man.

Alright. So if I'm going to replace all 4 shocks I need the 5100's right ? So just order me 4 and give them to my tire man and I'll never ride the same.
Set the c-ring/clip where you want it.(lift height,if any) Then turn them over to your tire guy.