1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with Add-a-Leaf

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nighthawk87, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quick question. I'm looking at botht he toytec add-a-leaf for TSB, or the ICON add-a-leaf. The ICON costs more and looks better since it has 3 springs, but my question deals with towing.

I tow about 4000 pounds a couple times per month and really want a good ride when not towing. I don't want the truck to squat crazy or need airbags.

Which is my best option? I like it level with a really really small rake....

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    For towing, you'd want the toytec AAL with the stock pack including the overload leaf. The Icons ride better, but thats because they are designed to work without the overload leaf. If you ran the icons you'd squat pretty bad while towing. Icons + air bags would be your best bet but also most expensive.

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    This is my boat that I tow. Its about 5500lbs. I just installed the Toyotec AAL and what an improvement. Prior to the installation my truck rode on the bump stops the whole time I was towing. Now that I installed the AAL the ride empty and loaded is so much better. I guess my rear leaf pack was shot and I never had the TSB done therefore was really weak. Empty my truck would hit the bump stops on the freeway expansion joints. The ride is so much better now w/ the AAL. The rear suspension now matches the front suspension in stiffness. The ride seems to be much more balanced. As you can see in the picture below my truck doesn't even squat when I put the boat on the back, which is exactly what I wanted. I would say go with the Toyotec AAL. its relatively cheap and easy to install. I've very happy with how the ride/suspension turned out. If you do the Toyotec AAL you will have forward rake. I have noticed it took about a month or so for the rear of my truck to settle. To make it level I'm going to install the 5100's in the front set at 1.75.
    [​IMG]

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    LoudDog

LoudDog Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    K&N CAI, NWOR HD Rear Leaf Springs
    Max, did you just install the AAL to your old leafs and nothing else in the rear?

I'm in the same boat. Never got the TSB, rear bottoms out a lot, tow a 4000+ pound trailer fairly often.

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Yes, just the Toyotec AAL in the rear. Nothing more, I'm very happy with the performance loaded/unloaded.

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Straight from alcan.. He said their 3 leaf pack was better than just an aal, BUT... Less load bearing because you take out the overload leaf..
    Not 100%, but someone told me the toytec aal is also made by alcan.
    I just did the toytec aal this morning.. So the jury will be out for a bit... I am thinking of also doing either timbrens or a helper spring. Possibly one of those would help you out as well..

7. Jun 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna go witht the toytec add a leaf. Seems liek the other 3 leaf progressive setup rides better if you don't need to tow, but....I bought a truck...and need it to remain a truck....

Gonna run the ICON coilovers up front..

8. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    jgang

jgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got the TSB, but I still bottom out and sag considerably under load (12 spools of barbed wire) and when towing. I found a set of used Airlift air bags for a song, mounted them up in about 30 minutes and WOW! COMPLETELY adjustable, NO rear end sag under ANY load and the ability to tailor the rear end to suit the situation. Not sure I even need an AAL when I lift now because I can add 5psi to the air bags and and raise the rear about 3/4 inch or so without any noticeable difference in ride quality. Keeps the rear end from bottoming out too. AAL is good and would be my first option if I hadn't tried these air bags first. Now that I have, though, the AAL is a distant second to the air bags. This works for me since I have an on-board air system and can readily adjust to suit just about anywhere at any time.

Products Discussed in

To Top