Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tie Rods Squeaking?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

Name: Drew
ComaTosin's Tacoma Gallery
Tie Rods Squeaking?

I have some horrible squeaking in the front end of my truck. Strangely it seems to mostly happen on hot days (maybe a coincidence) and primarily when I'm and either parked or going very slow. I have greased the TC UCA but it did not help - I was able to climb under there while my friend turned the wheel back and forth. The ties rods seem to be the source of the noise and I can feel them vibrate when the noise is present.
I have 36K on the clock and have had it lifted 2.5-3" up front the entire time. Is it time for new TRE or new all pro ties rods? I'm not keen on spending big money on something so - unsexy but if i gotta do it i guess i have got to.This seems early. Also, is there something else i should be mindfull of?

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

anyone?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
what did you "grease" the UCAs with?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
The Not So New guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
what did you "grease" the UCAs with?
I'll have to check exactly what the "grease" was. Just all purpose I believe. Why are we putting "grease" in quotes? I've determined that it's not the UCA though. Thanks man
Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaTosin View Post
I'll have to check exactly what the "grease" was. Just all purpose I believe. Why are we putting "grease" in quotes? I've determined that it's not the UCA though. Thanks man
b/c the uniballs can squeak when you turn, if they are dry. try a dry teflon lube on the uniballs. just making sure you didnt put a grease on the uniballs
Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
The Not So New guy

Quote:
b/c the uniballs can squeak when you turn, if they are dry. try a dry teflon lube on the uniballs. just making sure you didnt put a grease on the uniballs
I see. I had considered that it could be the uniballs and was actiually wondering what to lube them with. I'll have to get some teflon lube. Just spray it on there?
thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator

yeah...spray it on top of the uniballs....then drive or just turn them to get it all in there
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
The Not So New guy

Quote:
yeah...spray it on top of the uniballs....then drive or just turn them to get it all in there
cool. i'll let you know how it goes.thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
The Not So New guy

it mostly happens when hot - it would be awesome if it were only the tires on hot pavement. I'll consider this next time I check. thanks