Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New Built Right UCA's

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
New Built Right UCA's

Here's the story. I needed some UCA's but I couldn't personally justify coughing up the better part of $700 for uniballs such as Total Chaos, AllPro, or Camburg. I had settled on getting the less expensive Light Racing when it came time to order. Then one day I'm fartin' around on TW and see that TRICOMA has $469 uniball UCA's listed in his signature. They were new Built Rights (which I've never heard of). So I pm Tri and everything sounded legit. Hesitantly, I called James at the Truck Shop and after a discussion with him I decided to take a chance and pulled the trigger. The Truck Shop shipped them fast, I installed them myself in a couple of hours, and the alignment tech loved them. He said they gave him all the wiggle room he needed to get the desired specs. With my stock upper control arms he had to sacrifice caster to get the desired camber.

I can't give a long term report yet but so far I'm stoked with these. They give more space for tires and they don't touch the coils at full sag. They're beefy as hell and the tolerances they were manufactured to are tighter than a virgin. There is no "play" in these. In fact, I needed assembly lube just to get the pieces together. Very well manufactured.

As it sits pics:

Full sag pics:

The Truck Shop
James Ederer (Owner)

Address
8660 Miramar Road
San Diego, CA 92126

Phone
Tel (858) 408-0314

Hours
Mon - Fri: 10:00 - 6:00
Sat: 10:00 - 6:00 (by appointment)
Sun: closed

www.sdtruckshop.com
Old 06-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
looking good, I might go for a set of these instead of my light racing UCAs
Old 06-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Glad someone chimed in with a review. I am probably going to go with these instead of TC when I do my lift...I see no reason why the TC are worth the extra money...these even seem (from my gawking at photos of both) to have more clearance for the coilover...
Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Glad someone chimed in with a review. I am probably going to go with these instead of TC when I do my lift...I see no reason why the TC are worth the extra money...these even seem (from my gawking at photos of both) to have more clearance for the coilover...
At full sag, my stock arms hit my coils. I can happily say these aren't even close to the coils at full sag. A good inch and a half or so away from my 285's too.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
At full sag, my stock arms hit my coils. I can happily say these aren't even close to the coils at full sag. A good inch and a half or so away from my 285's too.

I am planning to go with Icon ext travel COs and that was a big concern for me, as it is confirmed TC UCAs impact the coil at full droop.

These may as well...I'm not sure...but regardless they're still $200 cheaper.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Jandrews, if you give me 'til tomorrow, I'll take a pic looking down from inside the wheel well at full droop so you can see the clearance. I'm guessing it will clear pretty well because the uniball's travel isn't in line with the coil body
Old 06-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #9

I'd appreciate it. And no rush. Whenever you have a dead minute.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Greg nice review. I have had not time to get a review done but here are some pictures from my install. I love the UCA but I have only stock to compare them with but they are great. They feel so much better on an off the road. I have about 2.25 lifted with my Kings not cranked up at all. I had no problems with alignment as well. My kings are extend as well. Here are some pictures of my install.

The Truck Shop
James Ederer (Owner)

Address
8660 Miramar Road
San Diego, CA 92126

Phone
Tel (858) 408-0314

Hours
Mon - Fri: 10:00 - 6:00
Sat: 10:00 - 6:00 (by appointment)
Sun: closed

www.sdtruckshop.com

Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #11

Yeah....built right UCAs for me it is...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
sdheda is on a distinguished road
Name: Sherj
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Do they rub with 33" tires?

I want to be able to install some 33" tires, from what I have read, 33" tires may rub the stock UCA.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #13

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
33" tires try real hard to rub everything. I have 33's and it takes a combination of wheel backspacing (or spacers), fender trimming, and suspension lift to run them without rubbing the UCA's, the plastic fenders, and/or the body mounts.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
thats a good price... now im tempted???
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Nice...
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
These retail for $599, but I told james that anyone that comes from TW and tells him you heard it from Me that he would give you the special price.

I will be at corral canyon tomorrow with them.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
So, I just got back from another alignment and still not close on getting a caster angle into spec! - I have All Pro UCAs and I'm thinking about jumping ship! Does anyone have an actual print out off from their alignment?

Every single shop I have taken it to - 5 so far can't get any closer than between 4.7 and 5.1 for the Caster angle.

Has anyone had the same problem with All Pro UCAs?

Do these cure this problem?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
They look great! I'll be ordering some in a few weeks
Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #20
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
So, I just got back from another alignment and still not close on getting a caster angle into spec! - I have All Pro UCAs and I'm thinking about jumping ship! Does anyone have an actual print out off from their alignment?

Every single shop I have taken it to - 5 so far can't get any closer than between 4.7 and 5.1 for the Caster angle.

Has anyone had the same problem with All Pro UCAs?

Do these cure this problem?

Thanks
The LR UCAs set on 0 add 2 degrees to stock caster setting. I had 1.2 before and 3.3 after. Oh...5100s set at 2.5 with 1.5 AAL out back. That's what is cool about the LRs, there are 5 settings to deal with caster adjustment and they have the extra camber adjustment on them too...that and the pricing. Just doesn't have the uniball.

Products Discussed in this Thread