1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Needed! I think my uniball is F'ed!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by High-Gear, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jun 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    High-Gear

High-Gear [OP] Zombie Killer

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.
    I need some input pretty quick. I got my truck aligned about 2 weeks ago, and when I picked it up I noticed it pulled to the left. I contacted the shop, but due to my schedule I can't take it back to them until Monday. Today I noticed it was pulling to the left pretty hard, and a very loud squeaking noise when I turned to the right to park. I thought it was the Uniball squeak I had heard about so I grabbed a can of dry lube spray and went to spray the uniball.

I found the right uniball was loose, where it bolts to the spindle. The top of the uniball was sticking up and had been damaged as it articulated. I borrowed some tools at a local bicycle shop (where I had pulled in to park), and tightened it back down. However there is still a lip where the edge has been curled up. I drove the truck home and plan to pull it apart tomorrow.

Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]

][​IMG]

[​IMG]

]

Here's the question:

Will I be OK if I file the lip off and polish it a bit, or do I need to get a rebuild kit. I am planning on a 3,500 mi road trip next week, so if I need to rebuild them I will probably have to overnight the parts.

I also can figure why this side would be so loose. They use nylon lock nuts, and I torqued them down per spec. Would the alignment tech, have loosened them for some reason and forgot to tighten the one back?

2. Jun 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    Just checking out your post..The same thing happened to me but i took the whole thing apart and found out the taper on the lower part of the ball seperated from the ball itself, so the only thing that was holding the uniball to the spindle was the bolt. I called Camburg and they charged me 50.00 for two new ones. I would check the taper to make sure it is ok. I,ll take some pictures tomorrow You can see in the first picture that the tapered part has fractured, its right where the glare is.I would check to make sure yours is ok before going on your trip

P6130478.jpg
    P6130479.jpg

3. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    As long as that's the only problem, filing should be fine, just get t real smooth.

And yes, it's possible the mechanic forgot to torque it.

4. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I don't see why the alignment tech would loosen it. It's not adjustable.

5. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think he solved this one already gents- Polished the lip down and went on with life.

Products Discussed in

To Top