Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bucking up the Rear suspension

Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Bucking up the Rear suspension

So I finally bought a set of coilovers for the front. I don't plan on doing too much offroading, and if I do, it's beach and/or dirt roads and the like. that being said, I'd still like it to be able to run in deep snow/rutted out roads when necessary (probably moving to Wisconsin in the next couple of years).

Question is, what can I do that'll be good for the back? I hate to have a quality front lift and a chintzy AAL in the back.

I'll probably only set the front at 1-1.5 inches. I already have the TSB AAL on the back. Would running 5100's be good enough, should I get another AAL (like a 1.5" on top of the TSB), or something totally different? I don't need LT reliablility, don't plan on jumps or whoops.

Thanks - search function is kind of weak on fixing up the rear besides people pointing to Toytec or Weaver AAL's. Unless, of course.... that's a good option.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
The 5100's and 1.5" aal sounds to be sufficient enough for you.
Agreed. I have Icon resi's in the back with there 1.5 AAL, but I'm sure it wouldn't be much different with 5100's and a aal.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The TSB is not an AAL - it's a replacement leaf pak.

If you want more lift, you could put an AAL in the TSB leaf pak and get more lift. But since you mentioned you don't want a chinzy AAL........The best thing to do is buy an aftermarket leaf pak that'll have the amount of lift that you want.

Or leave it alone
Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
So the difference between buying an AAL, and an entire replacement pack, is... ?

I ask b/c Wheelers has the $77 AAL for 1.5 inches of lift, or a replacement pack for $150, with 1.5 inches of lift.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
that $150 pack is just a 3 leaf AAL pack, it removes the stock overload leaf and mounts to the bottom of the leaf pack

an entirly new pack will run ya more like $450 and up...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
that $150 pack is just a 3 leaf AAL pack, it removes the stock overload leaf and mounts to the bottom of the leaf pack

an entirly new pack will run ya more like $450 and up...
And in addition, depends how you will use your bed(i.e hauling). The replacement 3pack will be able to haul less because you take out the overload spring.

Even if you do a replacement, I would advise to order straight from the manufacturer so they can custom you a pack to height and how you use/ may use your truck.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly the 3 leaf aal does really well. I have the Icon 3 leaf aal and it does really well. ill post of vid in a second of my truck, in the video it has billy 5100s in the front with the icon aal.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Here it is both 2ng gens have the 3 leaf aal from icon which is the same as the wheelers 3 leaf pack. mine the one with 3 offroad lights on the light bar has the billy 5100s up front. I now have the fox 2.5 up front and the aal still keeps up pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Fhu9atC9U
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
^ ya, the rear susp on both trucks isn't bucking too much. if the whoops were bigger i'm sure it would be worse but they handling it pretty well.

it sucks when the rear bucks alot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb16e...layer_embedded
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Can't get the video now b/c of work. When folks say I can't haul as much, are we talking a big difference? I don't haul much, probably rarely more than 500#.

Also, if/when I replace the rear shocks, what's the benefit of 5100 over 5125's? I've been trying to find something, and the best I get is "lots of models" and different lengths of travel.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
5100s and 5125s are basically the same shock. 5100s are model specific, and 5125s are generic lengths of 8",10",12" for custom lift applications.