Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Leeper Coilover Review/Pics/Video

Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Leeper Coilover Review/Pics/Video

First off, this thread is not to discuss at all the situation between Leeper Mfg and IVD.

I'm posting this review after buying, installing myself, and driving on them for the past two days. First off, I will say that they are way better than stock driving around town and over the bumps in the road. They seem to have given me about 2"-2.5" of lift in the front, but I haven't done the back yet. They were easy to install and I followed Chris4x4's sticky on installing them; it took about 3 Hours to install.

Like I said, the ride is amazingly better than stock, except I did run over some speed bumps really really fast today and I think they may have bottomed out, but I'm not sure. I'm going to give it a few more runs and maybe try lowering them a little to see if it helps. I plan on taking the truck offroad this weekend and running them through the trails, testing the flex, etc....and you bet there will be pictures.

In the end....for $500 and have adjustably and this kind of ride, you can't beat it! I would do it over 10x again. I went from stock suspension so have nothing else to compare to but, I did have a Dodge 1500 with a 6" fabtech and that was stiff as hell, but this is sooo much better.

Now for the pics and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWBvZFcP3Qs

Hope you all like, let me know what you think!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man what do you have them set at?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
Do you guys think they're cranked up too much from the "factory"? they didn't seem to compress much when I let the truck down from the jack.

I'm just worried that I lost some downtravel. Maybe I need to add more weight to the front....new bumper??? lol

Seriously though, I lower the truck some in the front, will it increase downtravel?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal16 View Post
Nice man what do you have them set at?
I'm not sure what they're set at....whatever they came like from Leeper. Is there a way to tell?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
So how is the ride?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Did you measure ride height before hand??
Nope, lol
Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Seriously though, I lower the truck some in the front, will it increase downtravel?
It sure will....I'd have to believe they are set from the factory with enough down travel to keep you out of trouble though.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So how is the ride?
The ride is amazing, like 10x better than stock. I just am a little worried about my encounter with a big speed bump. It felt real nice hitting it but then after I was over it, I heard a big thump like the shock may have bottomed out. I'm not sure if thats the case or maybe I went way to fast over it lol.

Don't get me wrong though, they are great and worth the money for sure, I will take them offroading this weekend and see how they do, then review them further.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post

Why did you put "Icon blank coilovers" in the video title?
Trying to incite another brawl.....the last 3 threads turned into a disaster, as Brunes noted.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Quote:
They look like they are cranked too much

Because thats what they are, sorta lol. Like buying brembo "blanks", gave me the idea. IDK, it sounded good, lol.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
They look like they are cranked too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Trying to incite another brawl.....the last 3 threads turned into a disaster, as Brunes noted.
Quote:
Because thats what they are, sorta lol. Like buying brembo "blanks", gave me the idea. IDK, it sounded good, lol.
These are the types of things to leave alone. No need to get nit picky about wording. That is only going to make people go high and right.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
The ride is amazing, like 10x better than stock. I just am a little worried about my encounter with a big speed bump. It felt real nice hitting it but then after I was over it, I heard a big thump like the shock may have bottomed out. I'm not sure if thats the case or maybe I went way to fast over it lol.

Don't get me wrong though, they are great and worth the money for sure, I will take them offroading this weekend and see how they do, then review them further.
Cool. I'm just worried about them being too stiff for the street. I plan to wheel mine as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
Yes, lets keep it on topic, you all better not get my thread closed!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Cool. I'm just worried about them being too stiff for the street. I plan to wheel mine as well.
On the street, they ride like butter. I used to bounce up and down going up my hill to my house.....now.....my truck just rides it and doesn't bounce all over the place.

They just soak up the normal bumps int he road, don't know how else to put it. Like, no bouncing around like some lifts...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
These are the types of things to leave alone. No need to get nit picky about wording. That is only going to make people go high and right.
True

nighthawk, what are planning on for a rear lift?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm definitely no expert but I believe what you experiences as a "thump" was because they lift decreased your downtravel. When your wheel hit the bump, it caused your coilover to compress. Once you were past the speed bump, the coilover expanded quickly and that's when you heard/felt the thump.