Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

N182 or SAW/Icon/Fox/etc with Dakars?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
N182 or SAW/Icon/Fox/etc with Dakars?

I am putting Leeper coilovers at 1.75" + total chaos UCA up front. In the rear, I want a replacement leaf pack that can still haul a load in the bed, so I'm looking at OME Dakars with the third leaf removed for 2" of lift.

Would it be helpful to spend the extra $$ on nice rear shocks (icons/saws/fox/etc) or are the OME n182's good enough?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
My Icons were ok but were a little too short for the amount of lift the Dakars give. I now have the Fox reservoirs shocks in the rear with my Dakars and they ride much better.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
Ome Shocks are designed for the Ome Leaf Springs. You should have a pretty good ride with those.

You also may want the same shocks up front so it rides good. Different front and rear shocks aren't always the best idea.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well, there are no matching rear springs for any of the available front coilovers, as far as i know. Why does it matter?

Edit: and there are certainly no rear leeper shocks.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
correct...they havent found any dwgs to steel and mfg yet!! (waiting for a bugs life reply....in 3...2...1..!!)

OP, the N182s are designed to work w/ the dakars and ride great w/ them!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
correct...they havent found any dwgs to steel and mfg yet!! (waiting for a bugs life reply....in 3...2...1..!!)

OP, the N182s are designed to work w/ the dakars and ride great w/ them!
Yes, of course they steel the dogs. Otherwise they would be too weak. (hint: learn to spell "steal"). And I am the OP

Hah, anyway, does anyone have the n182's/Dakar's in the rear with coilovers in the front, and if so, how is it? that's my real question.

Edit: yosh2000, it looks like you have DR coilovers + OME and N182's, right? How is your ride?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have coilovers (DRs) in the front cranked two about 1" or so, camburg 4" spindles, dakars in the rear (w/ no leafs removed), N182s adn SS break lines. ride is sic...BRO!!

but you really dont believe me in anything and make fun of me....so take the above for whats its worth...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Thanks for the input
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the input
awe, cmon...thats all i get!! i was waiting for comments on the misspelled words and such...!!

but in all seriousness..i love the ride. i hauled 1600# of concrete for my dad, did great! i wish i would have gotten these leafs sooner, they are just plain awesome!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
awe, cmon...thats all i get!! i was waiting for comments on the misspelled words and such...!!

but in all seriousness..i love the ride. i hauled 1600# of concrete for my dad, did great! i wish i would have gotten these leafs sooner, they are just plain awesome!
Heh, well, sorry, when you type like that, its difficult not to assume you're an idiot until you say enough enlightening things to prove otherwise.

That is really good to know. I think I've probably found my setup! How far up did you crank the coilovers? Did you remove a leaf from the dakar pack?

I'm asking because, like I said, I'm thinking about 1.75" in front and removing the third leaf in the rear.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #11

ok, now YOU need to read what i wrote...as stated, running the dakars "as shipped", ie no leafs removed. have just over 5" in front w/ the spindles and DRs at just over 1".

w/ 1.75 front, dakars w/ leaf removed, you have nearly the same OEM rake as the truck some shipped (maybe just slightly more) im guessing.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Ah, yeah, didn't go back and read. OK, yeah, i'm going for approximately the same rake - i figure i can always add the leaf back in if it settles too much. I don't want the butt end of the truck in the air too far. Alright, i'm decided then. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Well, there are no matching rear springs for any of the available front coilovers, as far as i know. Why does it matter?

The Dakars are made by OME...so if you really wanted to match everything you could get OME front coilovers (non0adjustable) with OME rear shocks and springs...

I would go the the OME rear shocks...But I would say Fox would not be a bad choice either.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
I guess I was just really asking if it would be a noticeable difference to go with a "nicer" shock like fox/icon/king vs just n182's, mostly for unimproved roads and light wheeling and trails.