Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is a lift worth the potential trouble?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
TimR is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
TimR's Tacoma Gallery
Question Is a lift worth the potential trouble?

I was planning a 2-3" ome lift for my access cab 4x4, but have received A LOT of warnings on the vibrations. I have searched a lot, and see that there are many methods to repair this problem with mixed results.

For those of you who have had a lift for atleast 30,000 miles or so, would you do it again? how much has it cost you to find solutions? how annoying are the vibrations?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It's the nature of the beast.....

Is it worth it? Depends on how much you want it/need it and how much it costs to do it.

Honestly? Doing the work yourself and actually 'understanding' what you've done and why. It's much easier to fix vibrations when you have a full understanding of WHY they occur in the first place. Once you know the logistics of everything - you can make your own decisions on the best repair to get rid of vibrations.

All too often - I think people get confused because they don't understand WHY they have vibrations to begin with.

If you're the type of person who doesn't necessarily want to get involved (mechanically) with your truck and the modifications .....maybe its not worth it.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had a single issue with mine.

edit: and I've got over 20k on my lift.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I have a little vibration and a little wandering with my 3"

If I take the time to tweak my carrier bearing spacer I can get rid of the vibes.

But worth every bit of it!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
TimR's Tacoma Gallery
When most people complain about vibrations, are we talking subtle, annoying, or teeth chattering?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
subtle
Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
TimR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
subtle
alright, thats the answer I want to hear! I really want that lift, I guess I'll deal with the shakes later. Maybe my gf will like it

should I get the drive shaft carrier bearing drop to start?