Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Would you trust this coil compressor?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
mjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
mjl's Tacoma Gallery
Would you trust this coil compressor?

Hello,

I'm about to install the 5100's on my 02 tacoma this weekend, the only place I could find that sell coil compressors was princess auto (which is known for its cheap tools) Would you guys trust this or should I take the coils somewhere and have the struts swapped in a shop?

Thanks,

FYI I've used a very similar unit that I borrowed from Canadian Tire years back without problems but that was for a Jetta
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I used that style on my Tundra springs.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
No. But they do work. So be careful
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Maintenance Man has a spectacular aura aboutMaintenance Man has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
Maintenance Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
No. But they do work. So be careful
X2
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt trust it. You can get a better compressor from Harbor frieght for under $50.00.......
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yes, I used that style on my Tundra springs.
You got lucky.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I used something like that with my lift. i changed my lift 3 diff times, all using that compressor. it works, but without air tools, its damn near impossible. good luck and be patient

it was more like this
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You got lucky.
Skill..........

They went in the trash afterwards.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Skill..........

They went in the trash afterwards.
You haz no skillz.....c'ept for fishing....I'll give ya that....
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
advance autoparts loans out better ones for free. i think it's just a $50 deposite that you get back when you bring the tool back
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a used set on eBay that looked beefer than those for a total cost of $15. The bolts flexed as I was cranking them down and it looked a little scary. If your in doubt about using them take them to a shop and avoid the worry. The instructions for these spring compressers says not to use air tools, but we did and nothing adverse happened. I used a set without air tools one time and my fore arms looked like "popeye" the sailor's after the endless cranking with a 1/2 ratchet.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
mjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to beholdmjl is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
mjl's Tacoma Gallery
OK thanks,

They also have this model that I just found. Think it's any better?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
I used something like that with my lift. i changed my lift 3 diff times, all using that compressor. it works, but without air tools, its damn near impossible. good luck and be patient

it was more like this
Those look like the ones you can rent from autozone. Very heavy duty and safe.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #14

This one is better:

And this is better yet:

Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of270 has much to be proud of
Name: Jeff
270's Tacoma Gallery
I tried with the suicide sticks after i realized how dangerous it really was and how time consuming, i just took them in and got them swapped for 40 bucks...no regrets.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #16

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You haz no skillz.....c'ept for fishing....I'll give ya that....
Bish please...........
Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I would'nt even wanna be within 50 feet of that first one

That looks like it might be able handle a spring from my mechanical pencil
Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Nice and simple....NO.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #19
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
They are not ideal but I have used that type of spring compressor twice.

You do need a air compressor and impact wrench. Just tighten one side a bit, then the other side, and back and forth.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #20
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Those look like the ones you can rent from autozone. Very heavy duty and safe.

I used a similar one to this from NAPA. I'm pretty sure you have NAPA in Canada. The one I rented was a little beefier and came from their KD tool line that is geared toward commercial garages. You can see one side in the upper center of this pic:

The drive nut was 15/16" and I used regular old hand tools. Time consuming, yes, but good exercise. HINT: Lubricate the threads with 30w.

Products Discussed in this Thread