Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Preference on 6" Lift

View Poll Results: Which 6" Lift Kit Would You Recommend?
Fabtech 6" Performance Lift Kit 23 53.49%
Pro Comp 6" Stage II Lift Kit 15 34.88%
Other 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Hunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1LT, Infantry (11A)
Name: Hunter
Hunter.V.White's Tacoma Gallery
Fabtech vs Pro Comp 6" Lift

Hey All,

I am looking to get a 6" lift for my truck (2007 4WD DC TRD Sport) and am going back and forth between the Fabtech 6" performance lift kit with 2.5 Dirt Logic coilovers, or the Pro Comp 6" Stage II Lift kit (MX2.75 coilovers). I want to run 35" tires on 17" or 18" rims (depending on the requirements for the lift - I would prefer 17" rims).

I've been reading a lot of these threads about lifting our trucks, and the biggest piece of advice I've taken away is to avoid being "frugal" and just spend the money to lift it correctly. So far in my research, these are the two lift kits that seem to be the best, but I don't have any experience with either of these companies [or kits]; this will be the first truck I have lifted. I imagine that some of you guys have one of these lifts on your truck, what do you think? What about ordering a basic kit and providing my own coilovers - such as Fox 2.5 coilovers? Do you recommend a different/better 6" lift kit?

I plan to use my truck as a daily driver (city driving), but I will also use it for the occasional off-road excursion (dirt trails), as well as hunting, fishing, camping, and driving around the Army base (I'm ROTC now, but I've been to Ft. Benning a lot and know that I need my truck to be able to traverse the land nav courses and other various dirt roads and tank trails where I am going to be stationed). I don't plan to use my truck to do any rock crawling (specifically), unless rocks are apart of the trail I'm on. I also want the truck to be able to handle driving in adverse conditions (i.e. snow and high water) that I may encounter in daily life in states such as Washington or Colorado.

I apologize if this question has already been covered; I've searched multiple times and read many of the related threads, but no thread [that I found] directly addressed my question. If such a thread exists, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I'm open minded to what I finally settle on; I'm more concerned with getting a quality lift for my truck that will enable me to go where I want to go, than having the tallest or most expensive lift on the road.

Thanks,

Hunter
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
dgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to behold

dgalleon's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Fabtech 6"... def make sure you get the coilovers tho... i have the 6" with 35's and it runs great... btw once you join the 6" lift club, make sure you only take advice from people that actually have 6" lifts....i made the mistake by listening to people who didnt have 6" lift and "thought" they knew what they were talking about and just ended up screwing things up for me.... i had to learned things the hard way but i atleast know the correct answers now.... let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
RCD 4.5 Ftw
x2

otherwise go with the fabtech kit
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Hunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for all of the advice . Does the RCD 4.5 lift come with coilovers? I've heard that coilovers really make the ride much smoother, so I am thinking that I want my lift to include them. Also, are you guys running 33's with the 4.5" lift? Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter.V.White View Post
Thanks for all of the advice . Does the RCD 4.5 lift come with coilovers? I've heard that coilovers really make the ride much smoother, so I am thinking that I want my lift to include them. Also, are you guys running 33's with the 4.5" lift? Thanks again.
they come new front and rear bilstein extended length shocks... you can use your stock coils. I did... the ride is smooth like stock

I am running a 305/65/17 tire on mine without any problems probably could put a bigger tire on if I wanted too

btw the picture below is old prior to the RCD kit
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
RCD 4.5 Ftw
So I've been reading more threads and doing more research on this, but still haven't come to a concise conclusion as to why the RCD kit is better than a Fabtech or Pro Comp kit. For those of you that have it, why do you think (or know) it is better? Is it because you had more options to set up your lift the way you wanted? Maybe you thought 6" was too tall for off-road use? Or perhaps you prefer the quality of RCD over Fabtech or Pro Comp?

Thanks for insight!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
i love my rcd kit and i would recommend it to anyone but if i were to get a 6 inch lift i would go with fabtech. i dont know a whole lot about the 6 inchers but the offroad shop here told me that fabtech has a high quality product.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #9

I found this post from Toku58 on another thread. I thought it might be useful for anyone who had the same question as I do:

-----------
Quote: Originally Posted by Stillfly199

So I found a fabtech for $2500, and pro comp for $2200, both are the "performance", which is the better kit?
-------------

Wow! Better is a relative term? I have found that both have their good and their bad points.

-Because IMHO, The FABTECH is built stronger.

-They don't lower the front Differential as much as the Procomp. (Which is relative, because both lower the diff.) I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing? It would depend on your goal.

-Aesthetically IMHO the arch of the Fabtech is visually more appealing. The Fabtech C/O's look to be made of a higher quality, also the rear shocks.

- I've found that the Procomp DB lowers the LCA's approximately 4" And their spindles are proportionately the same 4"

-Fabtech DB lowers the LCA's approx. 5.5" BUT their spindles are only 4.5". (So the new spindles are 1" too short to maintain the actual factory orientation.) This is most likely their attempt to compensate because of the bigger spindle the have in their kit.

Fabtech spindles are "Bullet Proof" whereas the Procomp appears to be an extended version of the stock spindles. (which for some reason they forgot to incorporate the steering stops in their design) The stops must be welded on by the installer.

Both kit for a 4x4 require cutting of the rear cross member!

ONLY the Procomp DOES NOT require cutting for the 2WD. (But it does require a fair amount of drilling)

Both kits do exactly what they are Designed for.

Both kits are solid.

Both kits fall short from the perfect design! Wether these short comings are intentional? Or wether it is just a result of a lack of designer knowledge? I don't really know?

But I would recommend that both companies improve on these areas.

There are a few more design short comings but they are minor.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
mnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
mnudo200827's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to be getting camburg 4" spindles and I already have coilovers that can adjust 0-3.5". So you can go from 4-7.5" for the front. Ad for the rear I am going to get a custom leaf pack from Alcan. They are fully custom to what characteristics you want; hauling, off roading, nice and smooth daily drive and they can put lift into the pack. I am probably going to get the leafs with a 5" lift and put the coilovers at 3" so I will have 7" in front and it will be leveled out. Then put 35" tires and regear. And with setup u won't lower u clearance. Just a setup to look into
Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #11

Okay, that sounds like it is worth looking into.

I'm a little OCD (I'm sure some people would laugh at my qualitative "little" lol) and I like to completely understand something (from the inside and out) before I spend my money on it. I am in a dual degree program with Emory University and Georgia Tech, where my second Bachelors (BS) is in mechanical engineering, so if you could imagine, my mind works like that. It definitely makes it hard to impulse buy on the more complex, big ticket items like a lift But maybe it's good, because I'm usually 100% satisfied with what I end up with.

This is why I appreciate an explanation with an opinion - helps me to further understand the workings of the product. I have a few months before I can buy my lift, but I've already started heavily researching it. Just when I think I know what I want, I hear of another good idea that I didn't consider; so I then have to completely understand that new option, and then determine if that is better for me than what I had previously settled on. I'll decide eventually!!!

Thanks for all of the advice and help
Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
west coast slayer is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
west coast slayer's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt go with 35s. I just bought a truck with 35s on it and went down to 33s. It has a Fabtech 6" and is by far more driveable now, gets better mileage, rides better, does'nt rub, has way more power because the gear ratio isnt so off ,and everyone tells me it looks a lot better which I agree with. Any ways just putting in my factual observations. 33s all the way!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
A 6" with 33's imo will look fugly. Drop bracket lifts are fugly as it is
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
to each his own. Everyone who has seen this truck says it looks ten times better than with the 35s!!! Ill have to post some pics and let everyone on the forum be the judges.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
im about to buy a new set of 35s for my truck i went procomp with radflo coilovers set at around 7inches of lift
Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
I think that either kit would suit you well, some people swear by Fabtech, but some people say Procomp is better too. I wouldn't linger too much on picking one or the other because they're both drop bracket kits, but Toku's post has a few good points in it to consider.

One thing I didn't see you mention is rubbing issues with 35s. You will have to trim the fender well plastic along with where 2 of the cab mounts are. People have done the cab mount chop many ways, but the easiest is probly to just take a clean slice off of it.

I went with Fabtech, and 35's and 17's like you want.
Hey thanks for the reply! Your truck looks good man; I think that if i decide to go 6" I'll end up with the Fabtech lift and coilovers. I'm also considering the RCD 4.5" lift kit, which I would run 33's with. Still looking into and understanding both options

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to show me what you went with!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #17
Preference on 6" Lift-dsc02083.jpgThis is a picsture of mine. 6" Fabtech with 33" toyo
Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, I wouldnt do a 6" lift on a Tacoma.....
I got rid of my 6" DB lift (1st Gen Pre Runner) Was biggest piece of $hit ever. Hated driving truck with it. Off road was worse. Just running Kings frt and AAL's w/Billsteins rear. Now I dont hate driving the truck and its got 'value' back
But if ya gotta have one, I understand where your coming from. Good Luck
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #19
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Imo I REALLY don't like them and would never spend my money on one. I would just go with long travel and with the wider fenders you probibly not have to cut much to fit the tires.