Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Deaver 3 Leaf AAL?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Deaver 3 Leaf AAL?

How come this setup isn't talked about more frequently as a way of lifting 1.5" in the rear without the harsh ride of a single AAL? I ran them on my '98 Limited with Donahoe CO's in front and the ride was great. Price point is in between a full replacement pack and single AAL.

Reason I'm asking is because a) the wheeler's 5 leaf packs are $459 and b) lots of people are complaining about the squeaking with those packs.

I'm trying to construct a nice, level ~2" lift (OME 881 in front) since my stock shocks are past it and while I'm upgrading might as well do the 2" lift. I almost forgot about the deaver 3 leaf as a 'viable' option.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I have the wheelers 3 leaf AAL on my truck and I love it
I did have to remove my OL leaf though, maybe thats why people dont like it as much? idk
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Main 3 reasons I think...
1. Possible not a ton of people have them, so less "thoughts on them"
2. Most people don't mind the "stiff ride"of an aal - it is a truck..
3. Like said above, less carrying capacity. That was told to me from alcan themselves. If it is mentioned, I would have to guess that you lose something big enough to have to say something.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Main 3 reasons I think...
1. Possible not a ton of people have them, so less "thoughts on them"
2. Most people don't mind the "stiff ride"of an aal - it is a truck..
3. Like said above, less carrying capacity. That was told to me from alcan themselves. If it is mentioned, I would have to guess that you lose something big enough to have to say something.
most people still prob want to be able to haul a decent amount of stuff and dont want to have to remove the overload leaf to run the 3 leaf AAL packs.

from the people that do run them, all i have heard are good things. solid set up at a great price.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post

from the people that do run them, all i have heard are good things. solid set up at a great price.
this!

I hated my single AAL. I thought maybe 5100's would help it but it was still the same. after I switched it was soooo much smoother. i drive a midsize truck, not a F350..
Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
I like mine.
Thank you everyone for the information. As I mentioned, I loved it with my '98 Limited. Didn't mind removing the overload since I'm not constantly hauling stuff around. It's also $160 less than the complete 5 leaf pack which is turning me away due to the squeaking problem.

So the OME 881's with Nitrocharged shocks at all 4 corners and the Deaver 3 leaf AAL in the rear should be a nice, relatively level setup right? Not looking to run 32's (probably not), just need to get my suspension up to par.

Also going to do rack bushings, sway bar bushings and possibly lower ball joints. The truck is super smooth on nice roads but rough roads throw me around some! I'll post pics of my build once I get the stuff and install (hopefully 2 weeks).