Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

upper control arm with 3" lift?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
upper control arm with 3" lift?

do i need aftermarket upper control arms with the "procomp 3" iltimate lift kit"? anyone have links to where i can get some total chaos ucas or camburg or whatever they are. ive heard nothig bad about tc ucas...

is it even neccisary with a 3" lift? i do want my alignment to be perfect and plan on doing it myself at work but will it be possible without new ucas?

i have a 2010 prerunner sr5 with the v6.

thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Chris4x4 said this in another thread..."If you want your alignment correct, Yes. Also they are stronger, and have more range of motion than the OEM ball joint." I'd listen to the man
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, get them. Check out the Light Racing UCAs if you are not a hard core off-roader. A tad cheaper and will allow for proper alignment.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on stock UCAs with a 3 inch and I'm right in spec. It wants to sorta wonder at 70+, but the truck did it stock too...fine withme and and I'll save the 400 bucks for later.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
Yea, get them. Check out the Light Racing UCAs if you are not a hard core off-roader. A tad cheaper and will allow for proper alignment.
If you going to pay the $400 for the Light Racing you might as well pony up the other $150 to $200 for the uniball. Thats if your going to be going off road so you can benefit from the upgrade.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Might as well get the upper arms. I'm not a fan of the uniball arms since they squeak over time and require maintenance.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
are the absolutely neccisary for a perfect alignment? ill never even go offroad... ill probobly never even put te truck on grass...

if i have to get new ucas what are the ebest option?

what is the cheapest?

and what websites can i order them from?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
I'm on stock UCAs with a 3 inch and I'm right in spec. It wants to sorta wonder at 70+, but the truck did it stock too...fine withme and and I'll save the 400 bucks for later.
Odds are, you are not "Right in spec". You may be at the extremes though. Camber is probably at .5*, and your Caster is around 1* or so. Thats why you have the wandering. With a 3" lift, your caster should be closer to 3*+/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Might as well get the upper arms. I'm not a fan of the uniball arms since they squeak over time and require maintenance.
This depends on the UCA manufacture. My TC's havent made a peep, in the 3 years I have had them....
Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
SpaceGoat is on a distinguished road
SpaceGoat's Tacoma Gallery
I set my Billys at 2.5, had the TSB rears, stock UCAs and thought I would be fine. Had lifetime alignment from Firestone, the manager there is my cousin. Had it aligned as best it could. Alignment cross checked at another shop. Wandered at 50 mph. Running 265/75/17s. Had some bump steer at those speeds. Ride was not what I wanted, my co-worker who has a Tundra with 6 inches on 35s has a nicer ride. All this was on pavement, not even off road. I had the shop set the Caster as far as they could, got it to 1.7 with stock UCA's, that put camber slightly negative, that helped a little but not much.

I pony'ed up for Total Chaos UCA's-local shop cut me a deal they had around that someone ordered and backed out on. WOW. Aligned at Caster at 2.4, everything else green. No wander at 70 even on 2 lane roads that need paving. Steering tighted up. I consider it money very well spent.

This is just my experiance, your mileage may vary, but doing all over again, I'd of installed UCA's from the get go.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
frequent reader
is there no set f upper control arms less than like $450?
dang, thats expensive...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
is there no set f upper control arms less than like $450?
dang, thats expensive...
Welcome to the world of performance parts.

I am in a similar boat. Have billy' set at 1.75 right now, but am debating going to 2.5.

Will most likely need to get "recon" (reconstruction) here on Oahu, so need to decide on going to 2.5 before I set-up my appointment.

If money wasn't an issue, I would have already ordered.. I did setup a poll on the main 2nd Gen page to get opinions about spending the close to 500 just to get 3/4 of an inch more than I have now..

Thinking I will just forgo the UCAs and instead get the toytec 1/4 spacer to get the taco-lean straightened out.. (funny.. never really noticed it before, but again, need to do almost everything I want to before my recon appt.)

Over $400 expensive..YES.. But you do get what you pay for.. Wouldn't you worry a bit if they were considerably cheaper???