Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Affordable (mild) lift options

Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dave
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Affordable (mild) lift options

Looking for a mild lift (2.5") for the front with the rear leveled. I don't plan on any real real offroading, just some trails at the deerlease or down to a fishing hole.

Money is my biggest obstacle. Would I be ok with a toytec spacer up front and an AAL in the rear, or do I need to go with the 5100s up front? I will be upgrading to 265/75/16s too.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
265s will fit stock. 5100s at 2.5 and some trimming will fit 285s
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Stay away from spacers if possible
Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
corman6892 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
corman6892's Tacoma Gallery
I'd sell you my 3 inch procomp suspension lift for cheap, I got about 2.5 inch lift from it, but it will be a lot rougher ride.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
265s will fit stock. 5100s at 2.5 and some trimming will fit 285s
Yeah, but I wll be keeping the stock rims, so I would need to get Spidertrax to run 285s even with the lift, correct?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Swollen Member
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stay away from spacers if possible
Ok. Can you elaborate? is it just that the ride would be rougher or is there some other reasoning? Remember, I will not be doing any real offroading. Toytec's FAQ indicates that their spacers are a prefectly acceptable option. Of course, i realize they are trying to sell their product.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
corman6892 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
corman6892's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Ok. Can you elaborate? is it just that the ride would be rougher or is there some other reasoning? Remember, I will not be doing any real offroading. Toytec's FAQ indicates that their spacers are a prefectly acceptable option. Of course, i realize they are trying to sell their product.

It's just a rougher ride because of the tighter suspension, I also had a spacer and that made it rougher too but not as much as the lift kit. It seems like I feel every rock in the road now and I try to avoid all speed bumps, I'm just saying that you are going to miss the stock suspension, so the spacer might be the best option especially for the price.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Yeah, but I wll be keeping the stock rims, so I would need to get Spidertrax to run 285s even with the lift, correct?
Yep,
spacers are rough because they preload the coil. For example if you have a 6" long coil and add 3" spacer, your a compressing a 6" coil practically in half
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yep, spacers are rough because they preload the coil. For example if you have a 6" long coil and add 3" spacer, your a compressing a 6" coil practically in half
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but installing spacers DOES NOT pre-load the coil...

It gets placed between the coil-pocket & top of coil assembly.

If adding a 3" spacer compressed the stock spring 3 inches, no lift would be acheived...
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with 5100's set at 2.5'' with an AAL in the rear. You can fit 285's on a 4.5 BS rim or less, but with stock wheels you'll need to run Spidertrax spacers for best results. In any case, you will be able to fit 265's just fine also.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but installing spacers DOES NOT pre-load the coil...

It gets placed between the coil-pocket & top of coil assembly.

If adding a 3" spacer compressed the stock spring 3 inches, no lift would be acheived...
Very true, but most spacers do pre load by applying more pressure. Some like readylift sit on top of the entire assembly, which dont pre load
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Throw into the mix the idea that you would want to get new UCAs with anything over 2" or so..
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Throw into the mix the idea that you would want to get new UCAs with anything over 2" or so..
Kind of a hit or miss with this, but it's a good idea to put them in your lift budget. If you get the lift on and it's wandering, then you can go ahead and get some UCA's, but if it's fine without the aftermarkets then that's great/money saved.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Swollen Member
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I should need aftermarket uca's for a 2-3 inch lift. i think I'm gonna try 2.5" spacers up front and if the ride is too harsh, i'll replace them with 5100s up front.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
im gonna be straight up..

i think ive seen three different lift threads in the last hour asking pretty much the same thing.

just try to search...all the answers you need are here somewhere

not bitching, just saying
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just put some hydraulics on it and you can lift it or lower it
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
Swollen Member
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
im gonna be straight up..

i think ive seen three different lift threads in the last hour asking pretty much the same thing.

just try to search...all the answers you need are here somewhere

not bitching, just saying
I see one more, but if you notice, mine was posted before that one.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
4X4 aggie '13 has a spectacular aura about4X4 aggie '13 has a spectacular aura about

4X4 aggie '13's Tacoma Gallery
I have a toytec 3"spacer lift with AAL and nothing else (new ucas, new tires, etc...) and the ride is stiffer but its not extremely bad just speed bumps they are killer. I don't do much off roading just down by the lake and on dirt roads and it works fine for me.