1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to TW - HELP!! Lifting my Tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tippett's TRD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Tippett's TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Dbl Cab L/B 4x4
    6" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, LEER Cap, NFAB Nerf Bars, Avid Off-road Bar, K&N Intake, Weathertech Liners, 2011 Grille, BedRug, Westin Taillight Guards, Tinted Windows, RedLine Hood Struts, Mag Lite Mod, Stubbie Antenna...
    Im throwing a 3" lift on my taco in the next few weeks, and need some advice from all the TW experts. Here is what I am considering going with:

3" Rough Country lift - http://www.hedgehogmotorsports.com/...spension-Lift-Kits-by-Rough-Country-p232.html

295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers - http://4wheelonline.com/Nitto-Trail-Grappler-Offroad-Tires.135956.456184

17x9 MT Sidebiter (5 backspacing, 0 offset) - http://www.pssautomotive.com/product.php?productid=17039

I'm pretty new to this, so need advice...

Are these tires/wheels going to fit with a 3" lift?

I know nothing about backspacing... is 5 backspacing what i want/need?

Should I spend the extra $ and go with a OME over Tuff Country?

Does anyone have the rough country lift and have any opinions?

Just an fyi.. I won't be doing much off-raoding with this. It is my daily driver. All advice appreciated... Thanks fellas!

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    If its your daily driver, I would go with OME instead of the spacers. The OME will ride way better on the street and off road.

Im not sure about your other questions.

3. Jun 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Ditch the Rough Country lift and go the OME Complete lift. You'll be much happier with the OME over the RC lift.

295's are a bit big for a 3'' lift in general without rubbing, heck even some people with 285/70/17 rub some. With the 5.0 BS on the Sidebiters, you'd be rubbing more than most people who have 4.5 BS wheels. So that being said, I'd stick with a 285/70/17 tire especially since you have a 5 BS wheel. Backspacing is how far the wheel sticks out on the side, so for rubbing purposes it's generally better to go with a lower BS. The lower the BS the further out the wheel is.

Last but not least, welcome to TW!

4. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    6" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, LEER Cap, NFAB Nerf Bars, Avid Off-road Bar, K&N Intake, Weathertech Liners, 2011 Grille, BedRug, Westin Taillight Guards, Tinted Windows, RedLine Hood Struts, Mag Lite Mod, Stubbie Antenna...
    Thanks man! Appreciate the advice. I am looking at a couple other options for wheels, so maybe I should go with one of the others with a lower backspacing. I was never sure what that meant.

It sounds like the OME is how I should go. I have been reading a lot on it in different forums and everyone seems to love it.

Worst news is... the Nitto trail grapplers aren't sold in a 285/70/17 :mad: SUCKS!

5. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    No problem!

What are you other picks as far as wheels go? I suppose you could go with the 295's but the only condition where I'd run them would be with the 4.5 BS wheels possibly even Spidertrax wheel spacers, but it's best to stray away from wheel spacers. Either way, I wouldn't run them with a 5 BS wheel, even though it is only a .5'' bigger tire.

6. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    The other wheels I was looking at are the XD Addicts w/ a 4.5 backspace on them. I really like the look of the Sidebiters though, but I guess that's not realistic. I was wondering why I hadn't seen anyone on here with those.

7. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Anyone else have some suggestions for me?

8. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    OME or Bilstein 5100's with toytec coils (if you got the cashflow)

you will have to trim the plastics a little with those tires but other than that it looks good :thumbsup:

definitely NO on spacer lift

9. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:

Thanks man! I figured a little trimming would be needed. Really want to put those tires on there, if I have to go smaller I can't do the trail grapplers. OME looks like the way to go for me.

Anyone know much about the UCAs and whethere they MUST be replaced or not?

ALso, anyone know about the wheel backspacing? Am i going to run into problems with 5?

10. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    as far as UCA's go its definitely recommended.

anything over 2.5" of lift is recommended

i hate typing the word recommended lol

11. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice

12. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    i dont know a whole lot about UCA's

im sure someone will chime in about them though

13. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    Tippett's TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh Tippett
    Lake Linganore, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    hopefully.. I'm new to this whole lift thing, so i'm just trying to make sure I have everything in order before I purchase the wrong sh*t. Im just hoping those big tires will fit with only a 3" lift :)

14. Jun 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    biggame

biggame Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 trd sport
    i need some major help... Ive been wanting a lift bad for my tacoma. I have a 07 double cab 4wd and i want a good 3 inch lift and theres so much out there i have no idea what to get. Im new to all this so really i just need some opinions on the best thing to get. Im planning on 285 bf mud terrains and 18 inch rockstars in the future but right now i just want the lift any ideas??? I hear a lot of people saying toytec but when i go on the site theres so much stuff and it looks like ill need some extra parts to go along with it and im just very confused. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top