Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New to TW - HELP!! Lifting my Tacoma

Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Tippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh Tippett
Tippett's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation New to TW - HELP!! Lifting my Tacoma

Im throwing a 3" lift on my taco in the next few weeks, and need some advice from all the TW experts. Here is what I am considering going with:

3" Rough Country lift - http://www.hedgehogmotorsports.com/s...ntry-p232.html

295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers - http://4wheelonline.com/Nitto-Trail-....135956.456184

17x9 MT Sidebiter (5 backspacing, 0 offset) - http://www.pssautomotive.com/product...roductid=17039

I'm pretty new to this, so need advice...

Are these tires/wheels going to fit with a 3" lift?

I know nothing about backspacing... is 5 backspacing what i want/need?

Should I spend the extra $ and go with a OME over Tuff Country?

Does anyone have the rough country lift and have any opinions?

Just an fyi.. I won't be doing much off-raoding with this. It is my daily driver. All advice appreciated... Thanks fellas!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
If its your daily driver, I would go with OME instead of the spacers. The OME will ride way better on the street and off road.

Im not sure about your other questions.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Ditch the Rough Country lift and go the OME Complete lift. You'll be much happier with the OME over the RC lift.

295's are a bit big for a 3'' lift in general without rubbing, heck even some people with 285/70/17 rub some. With the 5.0 BS on the Sidebiters, you'd be rubbing more than most people who have 4.5 BS wheels. So that being said, I'd stick with a 285/70/17 tire especially since you have a 5 BS wheel. Backspacing is how far the wheel sticks out on the side, so for rubbing purposes it's generally better to go with a lower BS. The lower the BS the further out the wheel is.

Last but not least, welcome to TW!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Tippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTippett's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks man! Appreciate the advice. I am looking at a couple other options for wheels, so maybe I should go with one of the others with a lower backspacing. I was never sure what that meant.

It sounds like the OME is how I should go. I have been reading a lot on it in different forums and everyone seems to love it.

Worst news is... the Nitto trail grapplers aren't sold in a 285/70/17 SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Ditch the Rough Country lift and go the OME Complete lift. You'll be much happier with the OME over the RC lift.

295's are a bit big for a 3'' lift in general without rubbing, heck even some people with 285/70/17 rub some. With the 5.0 BS on the Sidebiters, you'd be rubbing more than most people who have 4.5 BS wheels. So that being said, I'd stick with a 285/70/17 tire especially since you have a 5 BS wheel. Backspacing is how far the wheel sticks out on the side, so for rubbing purposes it's generally better to go with a lower BS. The lower the BS the further out the wheel is.

Last but not least, welcome to TW!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippett's TRD View Post
Thanks man! Appreciate the advice. I am looking at a couple other options for wheels, so maybe I should go with one of the others with a lower backspacing. I was never sure what that meant.

It sounds like the OME is how I should go. I have been reading a lot on it in different forums and everyone seems to love it.

Worst news is... the Nitto trail grapplers aren't sold in a 285/70/17 SUCKS!
No problem!

What are you other picks as far as wheels go? I suppose you could go with the 295's but the only condition where I'd run them would be with the 4.5 BS wheels possibly even Spidertrax wheel spacers, but it's best to stray away from wheel spacers. Either way, I wouldn't run them with a 5 BS wheel, even though it is only a .5'' bigger tire.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
No problem!

What are you other picks as far as wheels go? I suppose you could go with the 295's but the only condition where I'd run them would be with the 4.5 BS wheels possibly even Spidertrax wheel spacers, but it's best to stray away from wheel spacers. Either way, I wouldn't run them with a 5 BS wheel, even though it is only a .5'' bigger tire.
The other wheels I was looking at are the XD Addicts w/ a 4.5 backspace on them. I really like the look of the Sidebiters though, but I guess that's not realistic. I was wondering why I hadn't seen anyone on here with those.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Anyone else have some suggestions for me?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
OME or Bilstein 5100's with toytec coils (if you got the cashflow)

you will have to trim the plastics a little with those tires but other than that it looks good

definitely NO on spacer lift
Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
OME or Bilstein 5100's with toytec coils (if you got the cashflow)

you will have to trim the plastics a little with those tires but other than that it looks good

definitely NO on spacer lift

Thanks man! I figured a little trimming would be needed. Really want to put those tires on there, if I have to go smaller I can't do the trail grapplers. OME looks like the way to go for me.

Anyone know much about the UCAs and whethere they MUST be replaced or not?

ALso, anyone know about the wheel backspacing? Am i going to run into problems with 5?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
as far as UCA's go its definitely recommended.

anything over 2.5" of lift is recommended

i hate typing the word recommended lol
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know a whole lot about UCA's

im sure someone will chime in about them though
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #13

hopefully.. I'm new to this whole lift thing, so i'm just trying to make sure I have everything in order before I purchase the wrong sh*t. Im just hoping those big tires will fit with only a 3" lift
Old 06-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
biggame is on a distinguished road

biggame's Tacoma Gallery
i need some major help... Ive been wanting a lift bad for my tacoma. I have a 07 double cab 4wd and i want a good 3 inch lift and theres so much out there i have no idea what to get. Im new to all this so really i just need some opinions on the best thing to get. Im planning on 285 bf mud terrains and 18 inch rockstars in the future but right now i just want the lift any ideas??? I hear a lot of people saying toytec but when i go on the site theres so much stuff and it looks like ill need some extra parts to go along with it and im just very confused. Thanks