I talked to a few folks who used the Harbor Freight model
. It seems to work well initially but many report problems after the second or third use. Two guys I know even had it stick with tension still on the spring... one had to use a BFH
to get it to loosen and another had to cut the clips off in order to fully release. I plan on using these for my wife's Impala as well since she needs new shocks.
The ones I got worked fine...even after having to compress/decompress 4+ times to get everything lined up. They take a fair amount of effort to do by hand but I never once felt like they were going to slip off or break. Our springs are too thick for the included safety clips to work. I tried reversing them to see if they would fit better but that was ineffective so I just removed them. Lube them well before using to reduce the amount of effort. I also found after they sat under tension for a while that a quick shot of WD-40 onto the retainers made it a bit easier to get them moving again.