Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Finished front 5100 install but just noticed something... am I boned?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Finished front 5100 install but just noticed something... am I boned?

I just finished installing 5100s on the front of my Prerunner and was recapping the FSM docs as a mental checklist. When I went through the first time I didn't notice this diagram:

So I head out to check it and, of course, the lower end of my coils are not facing the rear of the truck. I paid so much attention to lining up the top three nuts to the bottom of the shock that I completely zoned out on this one.

Am I boned and have to take it out to realign it? Crap!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I was kinda under the impression the coils fit in there one way only (grooves at the bottom coil plate).... I never double checked it on mine cause I knew they fit this way. You might wanna realign them for safety reasons. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

They do fit in the cup on the shock only in one place but on the 5100s that cup can rotate around freely until you mount them into the assembly.

I got the top three nuts lined up with the base of the shock so I could physically get each strut back into my truck but didn't get the coils pointed like the diagram above shows.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If the end of the coil is in it's home correctly it should not matter which direction it faces.
The end of the coil wire should be nice and snug in the relief on the cup.
Make sure the cup is not upside down.
I did that on my first try.
If you can see the locking clip below the cup it may be flipped.
The cup should cover the spring.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
If the end of the coil is in it's home correctly it should not matter which direction it faces.
The end of the coil wire should be nice and snug in the relief on the cup.
Make sure the cup is not upside down.
I did that on my first try.
If you can see the locking clip below the cup it may be flipped.
The cup should cover the spring.
Nope, the cup is definitely not flipped upside down (seen too many posts where that happened) and the spring is seated in the relief snugly.

I went ahead and re-did it so it looks like the picture above. The good news is with all the practice now I can swap out front 5100s by myself in 2.25 hours. The bad news is I did it twice in one day
Old 06-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
what spring compressor did you use?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

These from Amazon.

I talked to a few folks who used the Harbor Freight model. It seems to work well initially but many report problems after the second or third use. Two guys I know even had it stick with tension still on the spring... one had to use a BFH to get it to loosen and another had to cut the clips off in order to fully release. I plan on using these for my wife's Impala as well since she needs new shocks.

The ones I got worked fine...even after having to compress/decompress 4+ times to get everything lined up. They take a fair amount of effort to do by hand but I never once felt like they were going to slip off or break. Our springs are too thick for the included safety clips to work. I tried reversing them to see if they would fit better but that was ineffective so I just removed them. Lube them well before using to reduce the amount of effort. I also found after they sat under tension for a while that a quick shot of WD-40 onto the retainers made it a bit easier to get them moving again.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Crappy cell phone pic as it's getting dark but here's the result. Almost dead-level even at 1.75" in the front with TSB rear springs. Time for 5100's in the back and to start saving for new tires.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
I just finished installing 5100s on the front of my Prerunner and was recapping the FSM docs as a mental checklist. When I went through the first time I didn't notice this diagram:

So I head out to check it and, of course, the lower end of my coils are not facing the rear of the truck. I paid so much attention to lining up the top three nuts to the bottom of the shock that I completely zoned out on this one.

Am I boned and have to take it out to realign it? Crap!
I just noticed I have one facing the right way and one facing the wrong way...guess I need to fix it huh?

What is the reasoning for this...I figured it was centered either way?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
im a little lost. when i did coils on a Camaro, there was only one way it would go in. I figured this the same.

what exactly is this diagram showing?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
My directions never mentioned this. Is there any harm in not having the coil end toward the rear?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
My directions never mentioned this. Is there any harm in not having the coil end toward the rear?
Maybe Chris4X4 will chime in or one of the other experienced guys...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan88 View Post
im a little lost. when i did coils on a Camaro, there was only one way it would go in. I figured this the same.

what exactly is this diagram showing?
It's showing the orientation of the bottom of the coil where it sits on the coil seat. I got mine pre-assembled, I'll see if they're oriented that way or not...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
I'd rather be hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It's showing the orientation of the bottom of the coil where it sits on the coil seat. I got mine pre-assembled, I'll see if they're oriented that way or not...
Isn't that in relation to the front of the truck?? I've called Toytec, DSMS, and Bilstein. Sounds like it shouldn't matter. I never got that diagram in anything I recieved...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It shouldn't hurt anything. I believe its just to give added clearance for the sway bar. I've had the lower spring seats in differently positions and never had an issue.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntark03 View Post
Isn't that in relation to the front of the truck?? I've called Toytec, DSMS, and Bilstein. Sounds like it shouldn't matter. I never got that diagram in anything I recieved...
Yes, in relation to the front of the truck as indicated by the arrow on the diagram. I got mine preassembled from Toytec so I'll see if they payed attention to how they put them together. I know some people have had issues with the UCA hitting the coil if they're put on in the wrong orientation. I'm pretty sure they were aftermarket coils though.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does hit the coil at full droop. Hmmm.....could be the problem
Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
i had my assembled by a local shop.

The coil on my drivers side is correct. The coil on my passenger's side is incorrect.

If the front of the truck is 12 o'clock and the prope rlocation for the end of the coil is 6 o'clock, my passenger side is 9 o'clock. basically its facing the engine block instead of the back of the truck.

with it being "off", is there a need to take it apart and bring it to the shop that compressed it and have them spin it?

Products Discussed in this Thread