Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100s & OME 885s Question

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
KrackHouse is on a distinguished road
KrackHouse's Tacoma Gallery
5100s & OME 885s Question

I just bought my Tacoma (07 DCLB, 48,000 miles) and it has a 1" spacer on it with 20" wheels and 275/55/20 tires. It rides ok, but it road walks a lot. It needs new tires, which I plan on ordering this week, but I think it could use an update on the suspension as well. My question is will the Bilstein 5100s and OME 885s help with the road walk or do I also need new UCA? Should I go with the 885s or the 884s? How much will these springs lift it with the shocks set at 0", .85", etc.?
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
I will get one when I get my shocks on, but I need help figuring out what coils to get.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrackHouse View Post
I will get one when I get my shocks on, but I need help figuring out what coils to get.
The 5100's are adjustable - and can adjust for lift. You can run your stock coils.

In other words....it defeats the purchase of buying the adjustable 5100's if you put lift coils in. Once you reach a certain lift amount (3" ??), you can't go any further regardless of what you use for coils or struts.

Either go with 5100s and stock coils or get a different coil and match them up with the proper coilover strut (like OME).

It all depends on cost.... I'd think buying only the 5100's would be cheaper.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
I didn't know if putting OME coils on adjustable 5100s and leaving them on the lowest setting would make the ride better than stock coils and cranking up the 5100s. Or if i put the OME coils on, and adjust the shocks to 1.75" or so, if that would be better.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't know if putting OME coils on adjustable 5100s and leaving them on the lowest setting would make the ride better than stock coils and cranking up the 5100s. Or if i put the OME coils on, and adjust the shocks to 1.75" or so, if that would be better.
Thanks for the responses.
According to some quick research & searching, the 884's or 885's will give you approx 3" of lift. That's the max amount of lift you can get away with safely on the tacomas.

So, by putting 884's or 885's with 3" of lift...you can not (should not) put the bilsteins at 1.75" or else you'll have 4.75" of lift. YOu need to put the bilsteins at ZERO.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 DblCab and installed 5100's all around and OME 885 coils.
From all the reading and searching I did, The ride will be better if you go with 5100's (stock height) and OME 885's rather than 5100's on stock coils.

I think the 5100's and 885's gave me about 2.5" of lift. You will feel all the small bumps more because the suspension will be stiffer than stock, but it will take the bigger bumps without bottoming out. I Really like how mine drives. It's not too stiff to where it's annoying, and it's not too soft to where I can off road fairly hard without issues.

Search around. There are MANY threads on this very matter.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
884's are the same spring rate as the 885's but a little shorter.

From my personal experience, I say you go with 885's and the 5100's at the stock height. I didn't take exact measurements but it at first gave me close to 3" of lift.. But after the coils settled in, I ended up with slightly more then 2.5" of lift.

I had no issues getting it aligned either.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
not to thread jack but is it alright to put the 885s on my truck with stock shocks in the front and a 3in spacer? or is that just asking to break something?
Have you been reading the posts?

885's PLUS a 3" spacer?? That's a total of 5.5" of lift...

So, NOoooooooooooooooooooo you can't do that!

Go back and read what others have already said!!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
885 with 5100 set at 0.... will ride better than bilsteins @ 2.5 and stock springs... new UCA will be needed to correct the alignment (it can be in spec w/o them but barely).

I had this set up until about a week ago.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
885 with 5100 set at 0.... will ride better than bilsteins @ 2.5 and stock springs... new UCA will be needed to correct the alignment (it can be in spec w/o them but barely).

I had this set up until about a week ago.
Thanks for all the responses guys... I have been reading some other threads similar to this and am understanding it more.

The guy I bought it from said it has a 1" spacer on it now... Does this translate into about 2" of lift as it is sitting? I have 275/55/20 on it now with no rubbing and am going to buy new tires, but like the way it looks now and would like to keep it at similar height.

Also, what is the difference between the Eibach Springs and the OEM?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys... I have been reading some other threads similar to this and am understanding it more.

The guy I bought it from said it has a 1" spacer on it now... Does this translate into about 2" of lift as it is sitting? I have 275/55/20 on it now with no rubbing and am going to buy new tires, but like the way it looks now and would like to keep it at similar height.
yes, a 1" spacer gives about 1.5-2" of lift
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
dmbtiger19 is on a distinguished road

dmbtiger19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The 5100's are adjustable - and can adjust for lift. You can run your stock coils.

In other words....it defeats the PURPOSE of buying the adjustable 5100's if you put lift coils in. Once you reach a certain lift amount (3" ??), you can't go any further regardless of what you use for coils or struts.

Either go with 5100s and stock coils or get a different coil and match them up with the proper coilover strut (like OME).

It all depends on cost.... I'd think buying only the 5100's would be cheaper.
Fail.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Is everyone running 885's running aftermarket UCAs or stock?? Do you need new UCAs?

I'm currently running 5100's at 1.75. I'm trying to be a cheap bastard and get a little more lift, but not enough to require new UCAs (for now anyway).

If I can get away with it, I am even thinking of putting the 1/4" toytec spacers. If the 1/4" will give me 1/2, then I would be at 2.25. I will probably need new UCAs even for that combo..
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Is everyone running 885's running aftermarket UCAs or stock?? Do you need new UCAs?

I'm currently running 5100's at 1.75. I'm trying to be a cheap bastard and get a little more lift, but not enough to require new UCAs (for now anyway).

If I can get away with it, I am even thinking of putting the 1/4" toytec spacers. If the 1/4" will give me 1/2, then I would be at 2.25. I will probably need new UCAs even for that combo..
I'm thinking that i will go with the 5100's set at 0, 885x Coils and 1.5 AAL... Some other threads have said this will give you a 2.5" lift. But I don't know if i need the UCA right now, or if i can wait and get them later.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
I pulled the trigger and ordered my 5100s from DownSouth and the 885 from Solus694. I am going to see how it sits and then order the appropriate AAL and UCA if needed. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I pulled the trigger and ordered my 5100s from DownSouth and the 885 from Solus694. I am going to see how it sits and then order the appropriate AAL and UCA if needed. Thanks for all the info guys.
hey krackhouse, I ran 885s with 5100's without UCA, the alignment guys were able to get it within spec, not perfect but within factory spec (on the edges), so its ok to wait a bit on the UCA. Now when I added the 1/2" spacer I had to get UCA.

Once I got UCA prior to the spacer, the techs got the alignment nats ass and it was so nice... drove awesome
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
hey krackhouse, I ran 885s with 5100's without UCA, the alignment guys were able to get it within spec, not perfect but within factory spec (on the edges), so its ok to wait a bit on the UCA. Now when I added the 1/2" spacer I had to get UCA.

Once I got UCA prior to the spacer, the techs got the alignment nats ass and it was so nice... drove awesome
Thanks, I think I will wait a couple of months and then get the UCA's. What brand did you end up going with?