Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Sway-a-way 2.5 shocks

Old 06-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Question Sway-a-way 2.5 shocks

Installed these shocks yesterday. Got em revalved by Sonny at Downsouth. I didn't change the ride height just left em where they were at from the previous owner. I had 5100's at 2.5" previously and from fender to top of tire I measured 6.8 on passenger side and 6.5" on driver side. With the SAWS i'm about 7.8 on passenger side and 7.6 on driver side. I didn't put the sway bar back on and the truck rides okay.

Took the truck off road a little and noticed it clunked when I'd hit small bumps. Even speed bumps at low speeds make the truck feel like a rock. My best guess is that theres too much pre load on the spring and the truck doesn't have anymore down travel so I'm hearing the "clunk" of the shock fully extending.

What measurements do you guys roll at? I know most do 3", but how the hell do I know my truck is up 3"? I'm gonna back off the spring by approximately .5" and go from there.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
im at ~25" from center of front hub to fender w/ my 4" spindles and COs at ~1"...so i would say that ~23 from hub to fender would put you at ~3".

but, like you said, 3" lift will only give you about 1" downtravel...and i say your correct on your extending assumption...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
Installed these shocks yesterday. Got em revalved by Sonny at Downsouth. I didn't change the ride height just left em where they were at from the previous owner. I had 5100's at 2.5" previously and from fender to top of tire I measured 6.8 on passenger side and 6.5" on driver side. With the SAWS i'm about 7.8 on passenger side and 7.6 on driver side. I didn't put the sway bar back on and the truck rides okay.

Took the truck off road a little and noticed it clunked when I'd hit small bumps. Even speed bumps at low speeds make the truck feel like a rock. My best guess is that theres too much pre load on the spring and the truck doesn't have anymore down travel so I'm hearing the "clunk" of the shock fully extending.

What measurements do you guys roll at? I know most do 3", but how the hell do I know my truck is up 3"? I'm gonna back off the spring by approximately .5" and go from there.
Hi Ben,

We didn't re-valve your coil-overs, we just re-built them and installed the new shaft in the one. And you are right, there was a ton of pre-load on them, as Sonny mentioned to you. And we had a HELL of a time getting the springs off and on, to service the shocks.

You should probably back off the pre-load and see how it rides then. If you want us to make a change in valving, give us a call.

Let us know....

Marco
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Hi Ben,

We didn't re-valve your coil-overs, we just re-built them and installed the new shaft in the one. And you are right, there was a ton of pre-load on them, as Sonny mentioned to you. And we had a HELL of a time getting the springs off and on, to service the shocks.

You should probably back off the pre-load and see how it rides then. If you want us to make a change in valving, give us a call.

Let us know....

Marco
Thanks for the clarification on the rebuild, and I did back off the spring a lot. Truck rides great now! You guys did an awesome job. I will be returning Sonny's bar that I used to ajust the spring.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
just out of curiosity what are your new measurements? mine are a bit high as well and im gonna move em down at some point in time. im thinkin to about 2.5" above stock