Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

PO installed Sway-A-Way Racerunners... do these look right?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Farva is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justin
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
PO installed Sway-A-Way Racerunners... do these look right?

The guy I bought this truck off installed these racerunners and they seem to have a lot of threads showing below the coil seat... they are definitely very stiff and im just not sure if this how they're meant to be ran.

Right

Left

I was also wondering when I go to have the nitrogen checked and recharged up to 180-200psi (if needed) should I have them off the truck with no compression at all or are they meant to be set to that level mounted and sitting at the intended ride hight?

Thanks for any help! Build thread on the way...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Have you blown any CV boots yet?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
you should have the psi checked, they can do that with them on the truck.

I cant see the pics so i cant comment on them but if your ride is too stiff then go ahead and jack the truck up and back off of them some
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #4

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response guys.

Quote:
Have you blown any CV boots yet?
Nah, but I've also only had the truck for about 2500 miles. Does this look like too sharp of an angle for them??

Quote:
you should have the psi checked, they can do that with them on the truck.

I cant see the pics so i cant comment on them but if your ride is too stiff then go ahead and jack the truck up and back off of them some
Doing this will lower the front a little bit correct? It already sets a little lower in the front and Im not sure if I want to offset it more...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Your CV boot in that second pic looks really bad, but I'd let some of the other guys chime in before doing anything.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
NicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud of
Name: Nic
NicP's Tacoma Gallery
CV boots do look bad ( do the piece of paper card check between the folds)and whats up with the color of those shocks? are they completly rusted? was this thing submerged in salt water?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
you'll definitely need to straighten out your cv angles pretty quick, that looks pretty gnarly. not sure about the setup, he may have them set like that for added lift which is why your ride is so stiff (coils are compressed)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #8

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your CV boot in that second pic looks really bad, but I'd let some of the other guys chime in before doing anything.
Quote:
CV boots do look bad ( do the piece of paper card check between the folds)and whats up with the color of those shocks? are they completly rusted? was this thing submerged in salt water?
The second picture is with the wheel turned hard left. Maybe thats why it looks way worse? And yea they are pretty rusted. Its kind of odd because this truck grew up in Georgia and the frame is SPOTLESS. Brought it to Toyota for the extended frame warranty check and they laughed at me, (still checked it of course just in case) thats how clean it is. I'm pretty much trying to decide if its worth it to buy the rebuild kit for these shocks or if there so far gone I should just go new instead. I was thinking if I rebuild them I'd just take a wire brush on a dremmel to the threads and then coat it with something to prevent it from getting so bad, as the truck will be in New England as long as I own it... Thanks again for the help!

Oh by the way that piece of paper check on the boots is that with the wheels centered or turned hard?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
if you want it to sit level then take a leaf out of your pack. but from what others have said you will need to lower the front before you blow out one of your cv's
Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farva View Post

Right

Left

Doesn't the left shock have a leak?