Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Enlightenment Please

Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Mog is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
Mog's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Enlightenment Please

I just purchased a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport (silver). Besides appearance reasons, I need (want) a lift for hunting. No serious offroading, just a little extra clearance for the bumpy roads.

I went down to SDHQ here in Gilbert, and they offer an ICON Stage 3 suspension system that I am convinced I need (want). The issue is this system costs $3,000 not to mention I need (want) rims and tires too.

Can anyone recommend a comparable "set-up" that will save me some money keeping in mind the following considerations:

-Not interested at all in a "stiff" ride, SDHQ told me this lift will considerably improve the ride on and off road.

-Do I need "extended travel coil-over shocks" like the ones this kit offers to improve ride quality?

-Does this kit really need $1200 UCAs?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not doing serious off-roading then there is no need for a full setup like that. You could easily achieve what you want with 5100's/OME + an AAL setup. Check out toyteclifts.com as their options are probably the most widely used before getting to the realm of icon/king/fox coilovers. As far as UCA's go if you want 3inches or more of lift then they're advised. Total Chaos UCA's are probably the most popular and their only $600 if I remember correctly.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Geaux Tigers
BradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brad
BradleyJ33's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Toytec's Ultimate lift (coilovers in front, AAL in rear) with Light Racing UCAs and I love it. It gives me 3" of lift and a smooth ride. Plus Toytec's service is great and the folks there are great about answering questions. Can't go wrong with Toytec in my opinion. They have a forum here under vendors and give a discount to TacomaWorld members.

Edit: Forgot to add, I think the whole lift only set me back about $1400, with the UCAs. That gives you more $$$ for your wheels and tires...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of uca's are that expensive? You can get either the tc or camburg for ~$600. Just go with 5100s front and rear with an AAL in the rear. Set the front to 2.5 and spend the extra money on some wheels and tires. Everything including wheels an tires should be $1800 or somewhere around there.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
What kind of uca's are that expensive? You can get either the tc or camburg for ~$600. Just go with 5100s front and rear with an AAL in the rear. Set the front to 2.5 and spend the extra money on some wheels and tires. Everything including wheels an tires should be $1800 or somewhere around there.

Icon
Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with 1337Taco.

Another option is OME springs, shocks, and AAL. Then you could do Total Choas or Light Racing UCA's.

Would be way less than the $3000 (just over $1000 I would guess), and is still a very high quality lift. I think it's a better fit for you especially since you noted you are primarily doing this for hunting.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
another vote for OME stuff all around! the dakar leafs also increase the loading capability of the bed, which i think would be important if your hunting (but from socal so dont really know!). you need arms for anything above 2.5" lift, but you can pick up some lightracing ones for like $450 i believe.

icon stuff and ext travel is more usefull for fast, desert stuff. adn there is absolutely no way you need their $1000 UCAs!!

check out the lift sticky, it will explain EVERYTHING you need to know. also, search and you will find the answer to any remaining questions!