1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vsc + lift = can't?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by justin14200, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jun 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    justin14200

justin14200 [OP] frequent reader

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    baton rouge
    Vehicle:
    2010 prerunner sr5 bsp
    stock
    I have a 2010 prerunner sr5. It has the vehicle stability control. Can I safely lift it? I'm only going up 3 inches. I don't want to lift it and then start the truck and get hit with a side airbag or something. Is it possible? Logical? Do you even understand what I just typed?

2. Jun 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    VSC has nothing to do with the side airbag. Good question on whether or not VSC operation will be affected by lifting though. It might affect it a bit but can't imagine too much considering VSC merely controls throttle and decide which wheel to break. Lifting will def increase your chance of rolling though. Here's a video on how VSC works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxt6Pw00yA

3. Aug 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    TRD 13

TRD 13 Active Member

Member:
    Spencer, WV
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD double cab short box 6 speed
    6" rough country lift, 35" mud terrains
    Ive been dealing with this myself in the last 2 weeks on a 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport. VSC can be a bitch! I lifted it 6 inches with 35's and the VSC pretty mush made my truck inoperable. Ive done a ton of research over the last couple weeks to figure my problem out. None of this information is my own personal work, Im just sharing the wealth of knowledge that I have gathered from the awesome members of this forum. The problem with VSC is this: VSC equipped Toyotas have a YAW sensor that reads the attitude (read front end angle and geometry of the stance) of the vehicle. The sensor stores a zero point setting in the ECU, and when you lift the truck or install larger than stock tires, or change stock suspension components the yaw sensor and ECU get "confused". That is to say the reading is outside of stock parameters. When cornering the YAW sensor tells the VSC that the truck is experiencing something that is out of tolerance, and signals the ABS to activate on the fastest moving front wheel (outside wheel in a curve). What you end up with is a vehicle with the abs randomly locking up in a corner.
    The simplest fix is resetting the zero point of the yaw sensor after installing any aftermarket suspension components. You can do this at a dealer, or by using a jumper wire. There is a thread on this board with detailed instructions, on my Tacoma it was as simple as jumping across two pins on the OBD2 port. I have not had a bad experience since doing this. The other option is to disable the abs, rendering the VSC inoperable as well. Down side to this option is TRAC is disabled, as well as the LSD.

Products Discussed in

To Top