Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Vsc + lift = can't?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
Question Vsc + lift = can't?

I have a 2010 prerunner sr5. It has the vehicle stability control. Can I safely lift it? I'm only going up 3 inches. I don't want to lift it and then start the truck and get hit with a side airbag or something. Is it possible? Logical? Do you even understand what I just typed?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
I have a 2010 prerunner sr5. It has the vehicle stability control. Can I safely lift it? I'm only going up 3 inches. I don't want to lift it and then start the truck and get hit with a side airbag or something. Is it possible? Logical? Do you even understand what I just typed?
VSC has nothing to do with the side airbag. Good question on whether or not VSC operation will be affected by lifting though. It might affect it a bit but can't imagine too much considering VSC merely controls throttle and decide which wheel to break. Lifting will def increase your chance of rolling though. Here's a video on how VSC works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxt6Pw00yA
Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If it starts going off for no reason then you have to get it reset so it can learn the new tire size. As stated above VSC has nothing to do with the airbag system.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
TRD 13 is on a distinguished road
TRD 13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
Ive been dealing with this myself in the last 2 weeks on a 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport. VSC can be a bitch! I lifted it 6 inches with 35's and the VSC pretty mush made my truck inoperable. Ive done a ton of research over the last couple weeks to figure my problem out. None of this information is my own personal work, Im just sharing the wealth of knowledge that I have gathered from the awesome members of this forum. The problem with VSC is this: VSC equipped Toyotas have a YAW sensor that reads the attitude (read front end angle and geometry of the stance) of the vehicle. The sensor stores a zero point setting in the ECU, and when you lift the truck or install larger than stock tires, or change stock suspension components the yaw sensor and ECU get "confused". That is to say the reading is outside of stock parameters. When cornering the YAW sensor tells the VSC that the truck is experiencing something that is out of tolerance, and signals the ABS to activate on the fastest moving front wheel (outside wheel in a curve). What you end up with is a vehicle with the abs randomly locking up in a corner.
The simplest fix is resetting the zero point of the yaw sensor after installing any aftermarket suspension components. You can do this at a dealer, or by using a jumper wire. There is a thread on this board with detailed instructions, on my Tacoma it was as simple as jumping across two pins on the OBD2 port. I have not had a bad experience since doing this. The other option is to disable the abs, rendering the VSC inoperable as well. Down side to this option is TRAC is disabled, as well as the LSD.