Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME Dakar Leaf Springs - passenger sitting on overload spring???

Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
OME Dakar Leaf Springs - passenger sitting on overload spring???

I have a 1st Gen Tacoma. Just installed an OME suspension - rides great.

Anyways, the passenger side leaf spring is sitting on 1st overload spring. The drivers side looks fine. Is this normal? Or a bad leaf spring. I would think it should not be on the 1st overload spring....Anyone? The passenger side is also about 1/2" lower. I also thinks it has too much lean...

Anyone?

Also it seemed to be level before I loaded the truck with camping gear (approx 500 lbs). These pics are with the truck unloaded.

THANKS

Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of looks like the passenger side overload spring in question was installed in the leaf pack upside down.
Gen1 leafs are side specific; are they installed correctly?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yes they are installed correctly...leaf A is drivers and leaf B is passenger

Unless the overload was installed upside by the manufacturer
Old 06-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
It does look like the 1st overload is arched the wrong direction.... Anyone else have this problem? Or is it defective???

PASSENGER

PASSENGER

DRIVERS...looks normal
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
No no no, you've got it all wrong! His exhaust has super heated the spring and f*d it up!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
No no no, you've got it all wrong! His exhaust has super heated the spring and f*d it up!
Thanks for your thoughtful insight
Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
another vote for the upsidedown install of the overload spring...just an assembly error...it does happen!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
So can the leaf be disassembled and the overload spring flipped? Or does it have to be replaced?

If it is disassembled and flipped what about the 1/2" lean? The truck was level until I put 500lbs of camping gear in it.

Would that be enough weight to damage the leaf spring with the overload being installed improperly?

BTW, the suspension is 1 week old - about 350 miles. The quality of ride is amazing.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toycar18 View Post
So can the leaf be disassembled and the overload spring flipped? Or does it have to be replaced?
yep, easily flipped, just a center pin holding them together. i purchased a used set of dakars for my 05, took them all apart and cleaned them up, and reassembled...very easy to do.

will it fix the 1/2" lean...dont know. but i do know you do not want to load up the leaf w/ the overload like that. nothing may happen, but leafs are designed to work together, and that overload being installed like that is definitely working against the rest!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Contacted ARB.

Overload was installed wrong at the factory.

I don't know if they are going to send me a new leaf or what. I think they expect me to flip it myself but I shouldn't have to pay someone for there mistake. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to fight them on this.

The ride is great - too bad quality control missed it.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just flip it myself. ARB isn't a small company that relies on word of mouth to stay in business.

Besides, it's nice to get to know your truck.