1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a 4" lift??? Shopping for a cheap lift kit, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cabezamiami, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    cabezamiami

cabezamiami [OP] New Member

Member:
    Miami, Fl
    2x4wd
    I really appreciate if you can help me with this.
    My neighbor has exactly the same Tacoma I have, a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner 2wd 4cyl 2.7. I really like the look of his truck. He has 305/70 R16 and said it is lifted 3” at front and 2” in the rear (looks nicely leveled). But, after looking under the truck I think he has a body 3” body lift and 1” spacers (I do not know much about lifting, just what I have being reading in this forum so please correct me if I am wrong after looking at the pictures). That will we a 4” at front and 3” in the rear Since seems to me like a 3” body lift, I do not understand how he fixed the gaps at front and in the rear between the bumper and the fenders. I included a front picture for you to see that there is no gap..it looks exactly the same than mine.
    It is a 2WD that will never go offroad. I just want the lift, that’s all. I don’t mind an stiff ride, come on!!! It is a truck!! It is intended to work not to be comfortable and I ride my chopper without rear suspension. So I will go with the cheapest option.
    Please, look at the pics and let me know if it is a 4” at front and 3” at the rear. I want the same set up. I got the 305/70 used, since I want to lift it and I do not have the money also get new ones, next time will be new.

Can I raise it 3” at front with just spacers?
    I know that after 2” I will need new rear shocks, but can I use the old ones at front? I want 3” at front and 2” in the rear to fit the tires and have minimal rub.
    Do I need a diff drop, since is a Prerunner 2wd??? By the beginners guide I have being reading in this forum, I won’t need it, but want to make sure with you.
    The truck has almost 100K miles, so instead of spending the many in spacers and using such an old shocks and then having to replace them I think I will spend the money on Bilstein 5100 adjustable and 2” AAL in the back and do it with a friend ( it is just AAL and shocks) The problem is that this will give me 2,5” at front, how can I get to 3” at front?. What is the cheapest option? Can I use coil spacers with stock coils and Bilstein suspension? I could add a 1,25” spacer and get 3,75” at front.
    I also want the tires to stick out and do not rub in the inside, so I will use spacer adapters (no just spacers) on stock tires. They are 16x7 and many of you will say they won’t fit and I need a 16x8 rim, but as long I keep them at the right pressure, do not take it offroad and do not mind the look, they will work Please post some pic if you have them because I do not know the looks or cons of 1” or 1,5” adapters. 1,5” sound better, but I do not know how it looks and if I will have problems with alignment.
    Can I do a 3” body lift (looks cheap but what worries me is the gap and extended brake lines and other extensions I read you have to modify in the truck)
    Thank you very much and I am sorry to have some many questions.

Some options:
    3" lift kit with block kit and diff drop kit
    DC-3" Kit with DDK-block
    Uses 3" front spacer with Cornfed block kit, and differential drop kit.
    Is the block kit the 3” lift for the rear? So, for $200 I will have a 3” front spacer lift, 3” rear block kit AND diff drop kit??? Sounds too good…..

$372 with SX800 Nitro Gas Rear Shocks
    3” strut
    Where can I get the best price???? And be on stock
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you[/FONT]

IMAG0291.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0294.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    :goingcrazy::goingcrazy::goingcrazy:
    man so many questions, I dont belive you can do 4" of suspension lift using spacers and 5100s. you can do 3" but will need new UCA's to fix alignment. If you dont plan to use it off road u can use a body lift although everybody here is oposed to them. Dont need a dif drop cause you dont have a front diff.

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    1st gen doesnt need aftermarket UCAs to correct alignment, but if money is no object, then go for it... then again, if money is no object to drop on UCAs, then it should be no object to lift the truck correctly from the get go...

since considering to throw a body lift on the truck, im assuming you have no plans to wheel that truck, so drop a bit more into your budget and do a drop bracket lift...

it will be costly in the initial investment, but you can go from 4" (pro comp lift) to 6" (fabtech lift) and get the ride height you want...

from there, you can slowly upgrade suspension components to improve the ride...

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    I need my attorney....:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top