1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coilover question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Budisweiser, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jul 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    Budisweiser

Budisweiser [OP] Member

Member:
    fort scott, kansas
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma 4x4 DC off road.
    Not real familiar with coilovers. Currently have a toytec spacer kit with aal installed. Love the look, however with the spacers the ride aint so great. Will the CO's help the ride not to mention the take of shuttter?
    Tacoma DC 4x4 trd offroad.:confused:

2. Jul 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Click the link in my sig.

Getting a set of coilovers would mean completely ditching your front spacers. You remove yoru front coils and shocks and bolt in the coilovers. The C/Os are adjustable so you can have as much lift as you want (from 0-3"). They will ride better than your spacers. But they are also expensive.

Can you describe the shudder your feeling?

3. Jul 9, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    that takeoff shutter sounds like axle wrap possibly...and that can be fixed/lessened by toytec shims and or carrier bearing drop

4. Jul 9, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    coilovers arent all adjustable...however adjustables are the way to go...if you spend the money they'll be worth it ride wise...good ones will prob run you from $700 on up...however you wont need to pay anyone to put them on for you because its a simple 4 bolt deal per side...youll just need to pay for the coils and an alignment

are you running a single aal? you might look into a 3 leaf progressive aal from that'll help the ride out as well

aal come in several flavors with the shortest being the harshest ride...longer single aal are better...but the 3 leaf is the best bang for the buck...

you can also upgrade to a full leaf pack in the rear but youre gonna pay good money for that

5. Jul 10, 2008 at 7:02 AM
    Budisweiser

Budisweiser [OP] Member

Member:
    fort scott, kansas
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma 4x4 DC off road.
    First of all let me thank everyone for their input. I get a shudder on take off to about 10-20mph. Feels like the front but I know these feelings are deceiving. Prob the driveshaft or rear axle. I have the CB drop in already and have toytec shims in the box. Going back to my installer for the shims. Why I asked the above because if this doesn't fix my prob them I'm looking at CO's or removing the lift. Just seems like a destructive shudder.....also get that 55-65 vibe from the drive shaft but not untollerable.....Does it seem like there are more vibe problems with the AAL's vs the Blocks?? I have the long alcan's... Can someone describe the actual process of axle wrap to me..

6. Jul 10, 2008 at 7:04 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    more issues w/ blocks than the aal....but i have the tsb done (basically a stock aal) for about 1" lift and then 2" of blocks. after the shims, my vibes are gone

Products Discussed in

To Top