1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lift options vs. offroad capabilities

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by das56170, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Jul 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    das56170

das56170 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    I already have a lift, so this question is more out of curiosity. Everyone seems to agree that a good set of coil overs and uca's would be be the best bet for a lift if you're looking for good off road capabilites. Then maybe 5100s. Then spacers would be mostly for looks. My question is with a spacer lift what would be your off road capabilites as compared to a completely stock truck. Obviously, a spacer lift isn't going to be as good as a coilover lift, but my thinking is that a spacer lift with bigger tires has got to be better than stock. Am I right?

Like I said, I already have my lift and I'm happy with it. Just looking for opinions.

2. Jul 21, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    a spacer lift will give you more room for bigger tires, but probably isnt as solid as coilovers. billy 5100's will let you lift, and they are probably more solid and ride better than a spacer, with coilovers, you have adjustability, and with,say, total chaos ucas.......you'll have the caster back for correct alignment.

3. Jul 21, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Coilovers add to ride comfort, height, and flex.

A spacer lift will give you a better approach, breakover, and departure angle. It will also allow for larger tires.

If your a serious off roader and have the funding (or you can save), a Coilover lift is the way to go. Toytec recently released a kit to convert Bilstien 5100s to an entire coilover kit. You could get 5100s and use those until you have the $$ to buy the conversion kit and then convert them.

4. Jul 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    das56170

das56170 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    Thanks for the replies

5. Jul 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    So aside from the suggestions that the UCA's are better, which I'm sure most know.

Seems like the answer is YES, just a lift kit will allow for larger tires, more clearance, which in turns provides better approach and departure angles, which will provide more performance off road, if I have waded through the replies and discerned and deciphered this answer correctly.

6. Jul 21, 2008 at 9:30 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    correct!!

Products Discussed in