1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumpy Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BBB1, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Nov 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    BBB1

BBB1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TSS
    6" Pro comp lift. Painted handles and mirrors. Spider Trac Spacers
    I have a 2006 DC Tacoma TSS edition. The truck has always rode kind of bumpy. When you put some weight in the bed, it rides great. I lifted it with a pro comp stage 1 about 6 months ago. The bumpy ride is still there. If I put weight in the bed, it rides good. I know there are write ups about the TSB with the leafs but what I read it makes the ride more harsh. Does anyone else have this problem? I am looking for ideas to solve this. I am almost to the point of going get a box and putting sand bags in the back.

Also, How much better is the ride of the 5100 shocks over the stock SR5 shocks? I had bilsteins on my Z71 that was lifted and they were night and day when I put them on.

Thanks,
    BBB1

[​IMG]

2. Nov 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Did your procomp kit use an add-a-leaf or a block?

3. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    BBB1

BBB1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TSS
    Both. It came with the add a leaf and the 2 1/4 inch blocks. Did not like the way it sat with a load, so I changed the block to a 3 inch with 3 degree shims. The bumpy ride is the same when it was stock height.

4. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    The coilspacer on the front will make for a harsh ride also if it is putting preload on the stock springs. So will an extra leaf for the rear. A rear block wont make it ride any stiffer. Leafs with more curvature, such as a 3 inch leaf pack, will make it more stiff usually.

Since it has always been a bumpy ride, maybe that's just how the suspension is on your truck and all tacomas. Have you ridden in another tacoma to see how tacomas ride - it may not be any more stiff than normal. I've driven 4x4s all my life so i'm used to it. For example, my truck has a stiff ride compared to a cadillac, but it is not unusually stiff at all for a truck.

5. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    BBB1

BBB1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TSS
    Yes. I see your point. I thought the spacer in the front is just filler as the spacer is between the the top of the strut and the mounting on the frame. I have rode in a bring home truck the night before mine was ready. It was a TRD Sport. It was smoother than mine. The stiff ride doesn't bother me but the wife has hated it since I bought it new. It rides great with about 120 lbs in the bed. I had two ice chest in it the other day and it rode good. I got home and weighed them so I would know what kind of weight I could add to the rear of the bed. I am thinking sand bags in the spare tire wheel well. When I am hauling something, I can just take them out. I haul my trailer alot during deer season and my boat, about once a month starting in March. Just can't think of something that is more compact but weights more than sand.

6. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I'd rather have a stiff ride than decrease my mpgs cuz of extra weight. It just depends what means more to u.

Products Discussed in

To Top