1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My plan for a lift - how's my thinking?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Vandy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Vandy

Vandy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC-LB, 4x4 SR5, Indigo Ink
    Redline Hood Struts, Blacked out Badges, Blacked out SR5 Wheels, BFG All-Terrains, aFe Pro Dry Air Filter, Wicked Flow Muffler
    Hi folks,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking and reading for quite a while. I've given a lot of thought about lifting my truck, and wanted to run it by those of you with more experience. I've used the search and I've found answers to most of my questions, but wanted to run my thought process and reasoning by you all for input.

My Truck: 2008, Indigo Ink, Double Cab 4x4 SR5; 265/75-16 BFG AT's on stock wheels.

My Driving: 95% on-road; 5% what most would consider "light off-roading" with the hope of bumping that percent up over time as well as adding some more serious off-roading.

What I am Looking For: A well designed lift which will improve both on and off-road performance of the truck; allow me to run 33's on my next set of rubber, and look good - without causing excessive wear and tear on other parts of the vehicle. I realize modifying the suspension impacts wear on the vehicle, but I don't want too shorten the life of the truck.

My Thinking: A full OME lift with 885 coils, Nitrocharger Sport 90000 shocks and Trim Packer for the front; OME Dakar Leaf Spring pack (with bushings and U-bolts) and OME shocks in the rear.

This should give me about 2-1/2" on the front (without top-plate spacers) which should be okay for the CVs and should give me 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" in the rear, along with increase carrying capacity. Correct? Then wrap it up with an alignment.

I would not initially purchase the front differential drop, or UCA's.

I'm thinking I would go ahead and buy the rear axle shims with the lift as they are cheap and seem to be the first step in solving any driveline vibrations. Additionally, the carrier bearing drop is cheap and may be worth purchasing from the beginning "just in case". If I have vibrations after installing the shims, I would then try the carrier bearing drop. If that still doesn't do it, it seems like a 1-piece driveshaft is the answer.

If my CV angles are too high, or the boots begin to wear, a front diff drop may help with the angles and wear (with the understanding that it only drops one side of the diff thus causing potential clearance and/or oil issues). I understand any impact front doing this will be minor.

If I have difficulty hitting the best alignment specs, particularly for camber and caster after lifting, I could at a later time, purchase and install a set of UCA's - thinking Light Racing UCA's due to price and because they are sealed. Installing these should help me get my alignment to desired specs if the factory UCA's aren't up to the task.

Questions:
    1 - Have I selected what you would consider an appropriate lift for my truck and what I am looking to achieve?

2 - Is my thinking about the axles shim, carrier bearing drop, and front diff drop correct?

3 - Should I just save up until I can afford UCA's and install them from the beginning - or would you recommend I take the "wait and see" approach?

4 - Will adding the top-plate spacers for the 885's definitely be too much for the CV's?

5 - Would this lift cause any clearance issues with the stock wheels that I currently am not experiencing on the factory suspension?

Thank you all for your help and for taking the time to read my post!

- Jake

2. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Hey! Welcome! Looks like you did alot of research..
    Personally I went the Bilstein 5100 route, so I cant help much, but GOOD LUCK!!

3. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Jake, I think that is a great lift for the price and you'll be happy with it. I would, however, make sure you have the money put aside for UCA's when you go to buy the lift, so it'll be there should you need to buy some.

1. I think so, the OME kit is a great kit and is very good quality for the money, as I've heard. Without the top plate, you'll be sitting around 2.5" up front like you said. Like I said you might not need UCA's but it's always good to have the money put aside in the event you can't get a good alignment.

2. I wouldn't install the shims at first, as it seems to be a hit/miss on whether you develop this problem. If at first you develop some vibes, then install the CB drop and go from there, but if you don't have any problem at first then you wouldn't need it. More-less hit or miss like I said.

3. It's really up to you on this - I'd save money for the UCA's and most likely get them when I do the lift, but if you aren't in the financial position to do this then that puts a variable into the equation. You can try the lift without the UCA's and see if you can get a decent allignment, but always set the money aside to get them if needed.

4. It might be, or it might not. I really can't expand on this because I have a Prerunner and am not familiar with the CV issues with too much lift. Some folks have run a full 3" OME kit with the top plates and have never had a problem, but some have blown CV boots left and right with the same lift. Don't know what to tell ya with that.

5. With the stock wheels having a 5.5" backspacing, you'd most likely have to run some spacers (Spidertrax if you have to), but aftermarket wheels with a 4.5" backspacing (and correct offset) will not need spacers. I'd opt for aftermarket wheels as it gives the truck a bit wider stance and makes the rubbing a whole lot milder.

Hope I've answered some of your questions, feel free to ask away!

4. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I think it sounds great. It seems like you got everything covered. Now go for it!

Edit: Get new wheels to. 4.5" backspacing will help with rubbing and look a lot better

5. Nov 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I wouldn't put on top plate spacers to start. Even on a double cab, some folks get a full 3" lift out of 885 springs. If they sag later, you can insert top plate spacers.

EDIT: You can check my sig for a link to photos where I document my OME install.

6. Nov 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's the most impressive first post I've ever seen. I wish more people would do their homework before posting, like you have.

7. Nov 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Completely agreed!

8. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    jswmsw10

jswmsw10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Tn
    Is this a kit or a kit you pieced by pieced together? Im looking something to clear 33s also. sounds like a great setup, and I also barley see offroad

9. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Redline Hood Struts, Blacked out Badges, Blacked out SR5 Wheels, BFG All-Terrains, aFe Pro Dry Air Filter, Wicked Flow Muffler
    Thank you all for the input so far. Colton - thanks for the suggestion on the UCA's, I guess deep down I'm hoping I don't need UCA's, but it would be wise to be able to get them right away should I need them.

When I do get my next set of tires, I would be going with new wheels (with 4.5" backspacing) - but with the current 265s on stock wheels, I wouldn't run into any issues due to the new coils correct?

Thanks again all for your help.

10. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    This is what I think is the best setup for me based on reading a lot of posts. As far as being a kit, you can get it from either or . Both allow you the option to add items (like the diff drop or axle shims) as well as choose between the AAL or new Leaf Pack (The Wheelers complete kit comes with the new leaf pack).

11. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Great post .

OP , I bought the same set up as you , sitting in my garage right now waiting to go on my truck .

bjmoose's install thread is a great reference for the OME kit .

12. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Not a problem.

I'm 99.9% sure that with 265's you will NOT rub on 5.5" backspacing with the lift. As for 285's on the otherhand, I'm almost positive they will rub.

13. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    jswmsw10

jswmsw10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Tn
    Is it better to have the full leaf pack or just the AAL?

14. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    bnavin

bnavin Negative Ghostrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Littleton, Colorado
    OME lift, driveline spacer, iPod interface, rattle canned center console and radio face flat black, LEER topper, Yakima rack, 20% tint all around
    the top plate on the stock front shocks will fit the OME ones too right?
    Great Write up! great info

15. Dec 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    One more question which I haven't found a clear answer to: Would I need longer front and/or rear brake lines when going with this setup?

16. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    bump for an answer on the brake lines :)

17. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    Crazyfrog

Crazyfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Monroe Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4 DC
    OME 885's, Bilstien 5100, 2"AAL, Weathertechs, AVS visors, Access bed cover
    I like it, or at least I hope I do.....
    I have that same order placed with Toytech, should be delivered TOMORROW! :)
    (I did not order the diff spacer, just the rear shims so far.)

18. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    No sir you do not need longer brake lines, it would be a nicer addition but not necessary. Welcome to the forum, we like people like you.

19. Dec 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input KTM.

Glad to be here - now that I've broken the ice, I'll try to be more active in posting!

20. Dec 2, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    X2
    :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top