1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange Drone in floorboard. Yes Ive read the lift vibe threads

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Outlaw, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Outlaw

Outlaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    I have a 2010 with 7500 miles. I have OME 884 Coils and shocks on front and Toytec AAL and Billy 5100s in the rear since the truck was almost new. I never had any vibrations. Never besides the little take off shutter. That happened when I bought the truck.
    i was concerned about my alignment for awhile and bought UCAs but never installed and truck drives fine. Maybe will put them on in the spring for better caster.
    Anyway living in Iowa, it gets damn cold this time of year, and almost as soon as it got cold outside, I had a drone/vibe in the floorboard that I can feel at 1,200-1,700 Rpms. any other rpms it goes away.Goes away in 4wd, not totally after you let off the gas, but once at idle it does. i became concerned and took it to the dealer today. They found nothing wrong, and couldnt feel the drone. So I went for a test ride with them to show them and I felt no drone or vibe. I contribute it all to cold weather and since the truck was parked inside all day, thats why we couldnt feel the vibe anymore.
    I mean it was bad and really had me freaked out and now is just gone. Truck has been outside for about 2 hours now, so we'll see if it comes back. They had no concerns at all as it was completely normal today for them, and under close inspection of the driveline, suspension, carrier support etc, nothing is wrong.
    Anybody know why cold weather would make this happen?
    thanks in advance and check in tomorrow with ya for your input.gotta go

2. Dec 7, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    It came back today after sitting outside last night, so it is definitely cold weather related. Can anyone tell me what part of the driveline would be making this noise and why?

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    phand00

phand00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB 4WD TRD
    2.5 ICONS Extended Resi ICON 3 Add-a-leaf packs LR UCA 305/70R16 on IS TRD 16x8 CBI Front bumper Custom sliders Toyota slim toolbox
    I don't know what part but mine do the same too. I put it in 4WD for a few kilometers when it's cold and after I switch back to 2WD and it's less noticeable. I also notice If I drove on the highway for a few miles it's less noticeable too. But it's definitively amplified by the cold weather. Maybe diff fluid is warmer and offer less resistance? If you found something, I'll be happy too! My dealer is not very helpfull. They claim it`s lift related and do not want to diagnose more!

4. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    With me only having a small amount of lift, and the dealer has experience with Spacer Lifts and blocks, they dont think there is anything wrong at all, and dont think its lift related. hmmm:confused:

5. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    this is the sort of response I was looking for.
    Perhaps because of the fluids etc.
    any more knowledgeable responses? Chris 4x4? Claim that have never had vibes from any AAL or lift that he has helped install. Any tips? suggestions?
    i feel I have a different situatuion than those with 3 inch lifts though similar vibes, I have not always had it. just when temperatures are low.

6. Dec 9, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    phand00

phand00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB 4WD TRD
    2.5 ICONS Extended Resi ICON 3 Add-a-leaf packs LR UCA 305/70R16 on IS TRD 16x8 CBI Front bumper Custom sliders Toyota slim toolbox
  7. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Thanks for the link PHAND00. I had never heard of this before. Not sure what to do now besides ask the dealer if they can check this.
    Any more ideas? keep em coming...

Products Discussed in

To Top