1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how's a 1st gen supposed to drive?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by summerboy1958, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Dec 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    summerboy1958

summerboy1958 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Timbren Shock Assist System, Billy 5100's all around, Deck plate mod, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Amsoil 85W-90 Severe Gear Oil in the transmission/differentials/transfer case.
    I have a couple of questions about the suspension in the 1st Gen Tacoma. I have had my extended cab for about a year now. When I drive it over a twisty road with a rough surface, the ride is… well… exciting? It bounds and jumps around. I have always figured this was just the way thy ride. On straight bumpy roads, the ride feels like any other pick up truck, rougher than some, but not too bad.

I installed Timbren suspension assists because I haul my own firewood. When I first installed them, there wasn’t the suggested 1” of clearance over the axle, but I didn’t think much of it as the ride didn’t seem to change. That is until I went over the nearby railroad crossing. The Timbrens bottomed out with no load and it felt like my spine had gotten shoved through my skull. I called Timbren and they sent a set that was shorter. That seemed to solve the issue. With the increased clearance, the ride over the rail crossing was just a bump, like before. The truck has run fine for several months, whether loaded with wood or driving to work.

I finally got enough money to replace my tires and went with the Michelins. The ride is great, still bumpy, but muted. All was great until I went over the rail crossing. It’s back to spine crunching. I checked under the truck to see if the Timbrens had come loose, but they look fine.

Here are my questions.

• Is it normal for the front end of a 1st Gen to bounce around when on twisty, bumpy roads (at 45 – 65 MPH)?
    • Got any idea what might have happened to my rear suspension when they installed my tires? Is there anything I should look for? Is there a picture I could take that would help the diagnosis?

[FONT=&quot]Any help is appreciated!![/FONT]

Products Discussed in

To Top