1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Install 5100's - AAL 2011 DC Pre- GA-N. Atl

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by N.GA Taco x3, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    N.GA Taco x3

N.GA Taco x3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 Pre DC Sport- 02 Pre DC OR- 12 DCSB 4x4
    Hi guys, after reading a million posts on moderate leveling/lifting options, i am considering purchasing the Toytec kit BK0510 (4- 5100's, 2 " AAL, front Eibach coils) from their site for 1-2" front and rear lift. I do not have the rear TSB, truck is fairly new and the dealer in Chatt (where i bought truck), seems reluctant about honoring TSB when I inquired about it. I have not had an opportunity to load it down to see if it "rides harsh" or sags or hits the bump stops. Planning on doing just that once the weather warms. Anyway, was wondering if the TSB is even necessary going with the Toytec kit with 2" AAL?

Since this is a prerunner, and i am not an off roader (yet anyway), essentially my ideal set-up (at least i think) would be: keep stock sport wheels, the current 265-70-17 tires, add about .75" -1.25" lift in the front, maybe the same in the rear, keeping the 1.5"-2" rake. Current stock height (with 265-70-17 tires) measuring driver side from middle of wheel, floor to bottom of fender, i currently have approx 35.25" front and 36.75" rear, with passengers side almost exactly .25" higher both front and back. I guess this is the driver's side lean.

This kit is probably overkill for my use but most members seem happy with this setup for hwy ride quality + looks, so this kit seems reasonable, but i will gladly take suggestions.

Anyone know of a reputable installer in North Georgia , SE Tenn. or N. Atlanta area? I have air compressor and impacts and all of the tools probably to do the job , but having never done those type of suspension upgrades, not wanting to screw anything up on brand new truck. I've seen past posts where some fellow TW mod experts might offer their assistance for beer/more beer/pizza or whatever, thought i would throw this out if anyone in nearby N. Atl, TN , ALA might take me up on such an offer.

Probably looking at Apr-Jun potentially timeframe, have ordered no parts as of this time. Quite honestly, i would trust most of the guys on this forum due to their know of our particular trucks than i would most any generic auto repair shop. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks much. sorry for such a long post. :cool:

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    If you have all the tools you can do it yourself easily. There are plenty of write ups on installing the front springs/shocks and doing the AAL. You don't even have to have an impact or an air compressor. There isn't much you can screw up with this. The main thing is to put everything in the way it came out. There is nothing like wrenching on your own vehicles and then sitting back and saying "I did that".

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    N.GA Taco x3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply Bama. I probably can do the mod myself, i'm fairly handy mechanically, just thought it might be beneficial to have someone around whom has done this or similiar procedure. Don't like to drink alone you know, lol. By the way, great avatar, huge Bama fan here. Maybe next year the tide will be back on track.

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    You can bring it over to my house and I will help you install it. I have all the tools needed to get the job done.

I installed my 5100's and AAL about a month ago.

Will work for food and beer.

I live in Canton

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    N.GA Taco x3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Macgyver, that would be awesome! I'll let you know when i get the parts this spring to make sure you are available.

Did you install the Eibach coil overs? Also, approx how much lift front and back did you get from your 5100's and AAL's? If i go this Toytec kit route, should i even bother with the TSB if dealer is sort of fighting it?

:cool:thanks again. Chat with you soon bro.

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I think you will be very happy with the lift kit you are looking at. :thumbsup: I have 5100s set at 0 with Eibach coils and 1/4" shim on driver side.(for taco lean) and gained 2" in lift. I have rear TSB springs which raised ass end about 1 1/4". Ride is firm but smooth. No vibrations. You may want to look at 1 1/2" AAL instead of 2", if you are only looking at minimal front lift. Just a suggestion.:D

7. Jan 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Nope I'm just running the 5100's at 2.5 on stock coils. I didn't even bother to measure the amount of lift. I have the 2" AAL on non tsb springs. It lifted it a lot in the back but it seems to be settling a little since I installed it. If you can get the dealer to go for it, go with TSB and the AAL. Having an extra leaf spring won't hurt. I wish I had the TSB since during the summer I'm hauling my landscaping equipment around a few days a week.

Here is a pic
    2011-01-10091638_0f994743534d206f32376e5562c732a586fb81f9.jpg

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    N.GA Taco x3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Excellent advice from everyone, thanks. Mac, your truck looks great with the 1st gen wheels. I have an extra set of those, may have to toss them on my 2nd Gen taco sometime. What size tire you have on those 16's? I'll called Toytec and they recommended the 1.5" TSB AAL, like RLD mentioned. I thought you had to have the TSB for those but apparently works with or without TSB. Did you do the drops on the diff or carrier or change uca's? thanks again

9. Jan 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I'm running 265/75/16 duratracs right now. As soon as these tires are done I will be upgrading to 285's. I'm trying to find a set of Tundra/Sequoia 17's to replace the 1st gen wheels.

Yep I have the diff drop and CB drop. Stock UCA's. Cherokee County Toyota got my alignment dialed in pretty good with the stock UCA's. (.8 camber both sides, .05 toe both sides, and 1.9 caster on both sides). I plan on buying some UCA's in the future though.

I need to get some axle shims, I have a takeoff shudder and some vibes between 55-60mph.

10. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    N.GA Taco x3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
  11. Jan 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    Reepur

Reepur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brevard, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 RC Black 4x4 2.7L
    265/75/16 BFG KM2 's on XD Hoss's 2.5" lift/4xBillies, OME 885's, Firestone Ride-Rites Desert Specialties UCA Volant CAI Grillcraft Grill Kobalt Slim Line Box Weathertech mats and Ventvisors. DTRL mod. 4 Lo -Trac Mod. Int. Wiper Mod. rcbs204 4x4 LEDS URD Short Shifter Plate Front bumper with Smittybilt XRC8000 winch Body Armor rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. ATO Front Skid Ultragauge BHLM
    I have close to the same setup but using stock coils, billie's set at 2.5 and 1.5" non-tsb AAL (from Toytec). I also have the Downsouthmotorsports UCA's (Desert Specialties). Did not do diff drop. Removed the sway bar.
    The ride is firm but not harsh.. I like it.

I do have a vibration between 20-45 mph that I am investigating but I am sure it is not lift related. There is a thread on that issue in the suspension area.

12. Jan 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I like them but they don't have enough offset/backspace.

Seems like toyota and many manufacturers are going with "flatter" wheels nowadays. I like something with a little bit of a dish/offset.

The good thing about the 1st gen wheels I have now and the sequoia wheels is they are 4.5" backspacing which means I don't need wheel spacers when I upgrade to 285's.

If I can't find a set of the sequoia wheels before I need new tires, I am just going to paint the 1st gen wheels black when I put the 285's on.

13. Jan 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    N.GA Taco x3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

Hey Reepur, are those 4runner wheels on your truck? If not, from what? 16" or 17" ? width? I am really interested in changing the trd sport wheels on my truck to another Toyota factory wheel. Trying to decide which ones would look best for my application. thanks

14. Jan 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    N.GA Taco x3

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Hey Macgyver, since i'm checking out wheels for my truck, ran across these thought i would share the links, decent deals- not great, but possibly worth considering, but i think they all are 16", give me your feedback pls. I don't really know that much about offsets, i thought less offset means that they would be less likely to rub UCA's and run out further (the earlier link for the '10 4runner wheels) but i might have it backwards. My UCA's are extremely close with the stock Sport wheels and don't really want to upgrade those, so needed an expert opinion on these. I think the sport trd wheels are 32mm offset, so would the 15mm be further from UCA? Anyone? thanks for your help.

PS, i realize i've drifted from original post, but sort of similiarly related in my mind, forgive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120663042986&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0607025365&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0633193526&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Reepur

Reepur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brevard, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 RC Black 4x4 2.7L
    265/75/16 BFG KM2 's on XD Hoss's 2.5" lift/4xBillies, OME 885's, Firestone Ride-Rites Desert Specialties UCA Volant CAI Grillcraft Grill Kobalt Slim Line Box Weathertech mats and Ventvisors. DTRL mod. 4 Lo -Trac Mod. Int. Wiper Mod. rcbs204 4x4 LEDS URD Short Shifter Plate Front bumper with Smittybilt XRC8000 winch Body Armor rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. ATO Front Skid Ultragauge BHLM
    Hey, yea they are off a '08 4Runner. They are 16x 8 and I like em.
    I got them for $400 including tires when the girl that had the 4Runner upgraded to 20's

16. Jan 21, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    Pizzajon

Pizzajon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner single cab
    Brushguard, hella 500 lights, pistol holster, 8 ball shifter knob (ha), factory seat covers, tint
    Look into Southern Off Road in Cumming. They are pricey but do good work. They do all the work for Carl Black GMC in Roswell.

Look at that, another boy from Canton. Hows it going macgyver?

17. Jan 21, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    Pizzajon

Pizzajon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner single cab
    Brushguard, hella 500 lights, pistol holster, 8 ball shifter knob (ha), factory seat covers, tint

Products Discussed in

To Top