Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Spacer with coilovers (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/136742-spacer-coilovers.html)

sinaloa226 01-29-2011 11:00 AM

Spacer with coilovers

Can you put a 1 inch spacer with aftermarket coilovers and still have a good ride?

Zombie Runner 01-29-2011 11:06 AM

like a top plate spacer?

I guess you could but your lower and upper ucas will be the limiting factor in your suspension rather than the coils, putting a lot of added stress on those components.

sinaloa226 01-29-2011 11:08 AM

it would be as a top plate with tc upper control arms

THROUGHITALLDUDE 01-29-2011 11:08 AM

DONT STACK LIFTS!!!!

705 Taco 01-29-2011 11:13 AM

Anything you do to make the coilover longer will be negative. Say you have a three inch lift coilover and no other mods. The extra inch will put too much angle on the axle shafts if your 4x4. That's why the 6 inch kits use drop down brackets to lower the arms and diff.

If you have a 2wd I suppose you could add the 1 inch spacer but I'm not sure you would get it to align properly. That's why most coilovers only adjust to 3 inches of lift. Also at some point the a arm will contact the coil spring under full droop conditions.

Can you give some more details on your current setup?

sinaloa226 01-29-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 705 Taco (Post 2665008)
Anything you do to make the coilover longer will be negative. Say you have a three inch lift coilover and no other mods. The extra inch will put too much angle on the axle shafts if your 4x4. That's why the 6 inch kits use drop down brackets to lower the arms and diff.

If you have a 2wd I suppose you could add the 1 inch spacer but I'm not sure you would get it to align properly. That's why most cpilovers only adjust to 3 inches of lift. Also at some point the a arm will contact the coil spring under full droop conditions.

Can you give some more details on your current setup?

Right now its stock. i just want to lift it 3 inches and still get a good ride.

705 Taco 01-29-2011 11:21 AM

If you just want height a spacer lift on top of your factory strut will do that. If you want 3 inches and a suspension upgrade an aftermarket coilover will work and ride nice.

I'm looking to raise mine a bit for a bigger tire and I think I'm gonna put in a Procomp or ReadyLift spacer kit. That will give me 2 or 2 and a half inches of front lift and will not change the ride.

KPT 01-29-2011 02:52 PM

Theoretically, as long as you keep the lift below 3", putting a top-plate spacer on top of the coilovers wouldn't be any worse than running a top plate spacer alone. Top plate spacers can damage ball joints, and if they are large enough, they render your bump stumps useless, because the shock will bottom out before you hit the bumps.

So if you really want 3" but can't stand the ride, you could crank your coilovers to 2" and run a 1" top plate spacer. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is possible.

KenLyns 01-29-2011 03:07 PM

It's one way to get more droop travel. The other way is to use longer coilovers like the Icon Extended Travel.