1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

aal center bolts upside down?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by silver taco, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    silver taco

silver taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    First off I didn't search this because im in the middle of my install with no internet, so im posting this from my phone. My question is, is it ok to install the center bolt of the leaf pack upside down. I don't see why this wiould be a problem but I just want to make sure. For further clarification, it's the bolt that the bump stop fits over.

2. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation
    if anyone has an answer i'd like to know as well.

3. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I would install it the way it was done before the add a leaf is add, you want enough treads making contact before cutting the access length off before installing the bump stops and ubolts back on. It also makes cutting. Why do you want to install it upside down?

4. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    this its easier to install with the nut on top of the pack than below

5. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    silver taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    Its easier because im having trouble getting the clearance btwn the axel and the leaf pack to put it in from the bottom. I gave already trimmed some of it off as well to help with the clearance but still having difficulty.

6. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I took both sides of the axle off the leaf springs to drop the whole thing down to get the bolt in from the bottom

7. Mar 6, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    silver taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Ill try dropping both sides. Thanks.

8. Mar 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    silver taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Looking at it I don't think dropping both sides will help me because my driver side axel is dropped and the brake lines are pretty maxes out. Is there a reasonson why the bolt direction should make a difference?

9. Mar 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    Nothing factual on the bolt direction. I was thing the nut side of the bolt going into the hole on the axle might not fit as well as the round bolt head.

Did you read through the aal install sticky in this sub forum? It worked for me when installing mine.

10. Mar 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    silver taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    I read that thing forward and backward I have it saved on my desktop in front of me but I am having trouble aligning it perfectly where I can get it in from the bottom an I don't seem to have the clearance as well. I can make it go in through the top however.

11. Mar 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The Nut wont fit into the hole in the spring perch. It needs to go one way. Compress the springs with the "C" clamp, and use an 1/4" (6" long) socket extension to align the springs. It takes a little time, but it will go.

12. Mar 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    i agree with chris.
    it's not going to fit, i've already tried. find a way to lower the axle further if u can, that was my main problem when installing my aal aswell.

13. Mar 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    silver taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    I went out and got a 1/4" extension. I tried with screwdrivers but they weren't strong enough to move the leaves to the tolerance that's needed. Thanks for all the quick responses. Ill keep you guys posted and will post pics as well

14. Mar 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Like Chris said.... The nut won't fit in the hole. The hole in the spring perch is probably not deep enough to accomodate the height of the bolt and the nut either.

That centering pin (the head) has to sit down inside that hole and the springs must sit flat on the perch.

We've actually used small jackstands.... Put drivers side axle tube ontop a small jackstand while lowering the passenger side tube down to the ground (drum brake almost on floor) to give yourself enough room to get it in there. Then, reverse and do the other side. You might want a buddy to help you.....to make sure things stay ON the jacks stand and the driveshaft doesn't separate at the yoke.

15. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    silver taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    I got it done. The drivers side took me like 3 hrs to do but the passenger side only took me 35 mins! I see what you mean about it not working upside down. I had to drop the axel a lot by disconnecting it from both leafpacks at the same time and used a lot of jackstands to support it because i was out there by myself. i ended up ditching the 1/4 extension and instead feeding the bolt through the overload leaf and the aal and the clamped it all together that way. I was concerned about srewing up the threads, but at that point i didn't care anymore. They survived so it all worked out. Thank you all for your help. I plan to post pics in the next couple of days to add another resource for people looking to do this.

Products Discussed in

To Top