1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 Lift not sure about choices

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by msanders03, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Prerunner TRD XtraCab
    Hello someone guide me right. I read over a stick somewhere and while I feel I know more, I still am confused. Got an 03 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Xtra Cab.

I know I need some different shocks. The truck has 94K miles on it. I know not a lot. But the front stock shocks are for sure shot. Bounces sometimes, especially when I turn. Rear not too sure but probably.

I want to do a small lift. I do not do ANY off roading etc. Occasionally might haul something in the bed. Some of my questions I'm confused about.

1) How do I know if I need new springs also? 94K miles aint a lot for springs I dont think.

2) If I dont need new springs, I thought I read that if I add the 5100s and set to 2.5 I will only get about an inch of travel out of the shock?

3) If I dont get new springs, would you guys just get some OME or 5100s, not adjust them out and then just add a strutspacer at the top so the spring doesnt preload? If that's how it works. Any other ideas?

4) So saying I add that to the front (strutspacer) and do 2.5 or so what do I need for the back. I already read about the blocks and axle warp, the adj shackles and wearing out the leaf packs, and AALs. I'm liking the AAL for extra load capacity, but doesn't the axle warp only come into effect when under high torque situations like offroading etc or once you go ever x number of inches?

5) Whats with this UCA everyone talks about? So if I keep the springs, add a spacer and new shocks to raise it 2.5 or 3" then I also will need another UCA?? I dont have 4 wheel drive or anything, so kinda confused about when you need that and when you dont.

Thanks if someone can clear this up for me.
    Mike

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Wow no help? Come on guys hit me up on these questions so I can order some stuff. Thx

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    Camo23

Camo23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Fallbrook, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4
    Not much yet
    1. I am assumin you mean you coil springs not leaf, i would say look at the truck is the front sagging down? mine personally are not at 120xxx.
    2.umm you confused me. the 5100s can be set up to 2.5 ins of lift, but the amount of travel i would not believe would only be an inch.
    3.personally dont get a top spacer lift, i have one i dont dislike it but i wish i would have got 5100s and eibach coils. if you do that set the 5100s at zero and install with eibach coils for 3 or so inchs of lift.
    4.AAL is most likely your best bet, and axle wrap happens at sudden stops and fast take offs as well.
    5.you can lift your truck up to 3'' without getting new Upper Control Arms, but getting aftermarket ones will help you alignment and such. You can lift it and run stock UCAs however.

well i answered some of your questions breifly and hopefully some more members come and chime in with more info. and btw OP some of your questions are kinda confusing in the way they are worded.

4. Apr 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it doesnt appear to sag or anything. I mainly just wasnt sure if that was something you would just do. I know I can do that to get some lift.

On one of the stickies I just thought I read that in some configurations and I guess if you are using the 5100s with the OME springs then you dont get as much travel and so therefor the ride is not as good.

My really only reason for mentionting the strut spacers was to just try and save the money if I dont need new springs right now. I could get the cheaper spaces and then just get some 5100's to go in them. Wouldnt have to spend as much and could use the savings for the AAL. Im guessing nothing wrong with that and I should see ride improvement over what I have now.

So I think what I am looking at would be: keep my same coils, add a strut spacer now which I can always change later, add some 5100s all the way around and possibly an AAL in the rear. (If I dont use an AAL, small block or something Im guessing the rear will be lower?) What would be an alternative for the rear after putting the 5100s on and wanting to level it???

Just trying to put the wife through school now and just cant spend a but load right now.

thanks

5. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    you can roll with stock coils & the 5100's will adjust to 2.5" lift for front about 2" with AAL for the back, our stock rear springs just suck period....:cool:

i'd do without spacers

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    3. Get the 5100's, not the strut spacer. Do not stack the 5100's with the strut spacer.

4. Like the other guy said, get an AAL, a long AAL for a better ride, a short AAL for a stiffer ride. If you can afford it then whole new leaf packs would be best.

5. Some people need the new UCA's to keep alignment in spec when they get around 2 inches of lift. Others can get away without the new UCA's. 4x4 and 4x2 are both affected by the UCA's when you lift high enough. .

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Not sure I understand about the 5100s though. I guess I dont get how they adjust.

What would be bad about leaving the 5100s unadjusted and using spacers? Doesnt seem like it would ride worse.

So when you adjust out the 5100s to 2.5 that doesnt mean that you have 2.5" less of travel the shock can do?

Any particular folks you guys recommend for the AAL or 5100s etc. Only place I have heard mentioned a few times was wheelersoffroad.

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    They adjust with a little ring that can be pulled off with your fingers or a pair of pliers. Pull the ring off and set to the desired position.

Downsouth motorsports sells 5100's for the best price. Search them. Can't help with the other questions.

Just stay away from the spacers.

9. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I say since your prerunner you should go with the Long travel suspension. If you were 4x4 I say go with some CO's and UCA's.

Next time use the search engine.:p

10. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!

If i were you i would just order the 5100's from DSM, I think all 4 are around 300. Then just use the stock coils set at 2.5, which is where mine were set out of the box.

For the rear, id get an AAL from DSM or Wheelers.

Then you will be set.

oh and be sure to order some new top plate bushings, just to be on the safe side.

11. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1. Your springs may be worn out, my trucks coil springs were worn out at 90k miles. I could tell my springs were worn out because my truck bounced around a lot and the coils were touching on the top part of the coil springs.

2. No

3. Get the 5100's set them at 2.5 and don't get spacers.

4. Don't get a spacer. AAl would be the best, get 5100s or some other extended length shocks to be able to handle the extra travel with the AAL. Shackles do NOT wear out leaf packs faster. I would stay away from blocks.

5. If you lift your truck to 3" new UCAs would be nice but not needed.

12. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the help. I'll try and check out the stuff today at work. I'll have to go out and look at my coils to see what you are talking about. They do bounce. Everytime I take a turn or some wind hits me going down the interstate, it rocks. Not horribly but definitely noticeable- especially when turning. I'll check out what DSM has later today.

THANKS!

13. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Np man, my shocks were also completely shot too, so that would also make my friend end handle like crap lol. My whole suspension was shot at 90k miles, coils and shocks in the front and leaf springs and shocks in the rear. My truck was riding slightly lower in the rear.

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:

OK I dont get this. If I go outside is there someway to tell if I should order some new coils by looking at mine. Maybe measure them or something?

I did check out downsouth motorsports's site. It looks like I can get either 5100's front and rear, or 5100's front and 5125's for the rear. Anyone know the difference between the two?

If I decide to get some new springs, what do you recommend then? OME 881's with 5100s and the 10mm spacer option there at wheelers?

Thanks
    Mike

15. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    Camo23

Camo23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Fallbrook, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4
    Not much yet
    ok first off, go look at the coils, if the spring is touching together near the top plate then your coils are worn out. secondly i suggested eibach coils but you seem hell bent on the OMEs so get them. as for the 5100s and the 5125s i believe the 5125s are not a stock size replace ment but instead a extended travel size.

16. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    OK I went out and looked at the springs on my truck. Both sides are the same. There is about a 1/8" or slightly larger but less thatn a 1/4" gap between the top three coils. Total spring length is just under 10.5" Sooo I am guessing that they are worn.

Im not stuck on the OME, I just didnt remember the Eibach. I looked at 5 of the vendor sites from Eibach's main site and after putting in my truck info nothing comes up.

I honestly dont really care what I use, I just want it to ride good and be reasonable. I'll do the AAL in the rear. Can I use the 5100s with any other spring whether I find the Eibach's or not? I know I read several posts that they werent recommended for the OMEs since they are not valved for them. Soooo how do I do this? I would like to make an order this weekend for something.

thanks again.

17. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Order the eibachs from toytec and the 5100's from DSM, if you go the OME route then get teh OME shocks all the way around, but personally i love the eibachs, just remember its a 600+ coil so w/o a little added weight they will be a little stiff, but when i put them on they deffinatly rode a shit ton better than stock!

Are you 4cyl or v6?

18. Apr 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    msanders03

msanders03 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I will check out the suggestions you made. It's got the vs in it. No addons other than a toolbox and side rails.

Products Discussed in

To Top