1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Green-back needs help with suspension overhaul

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RedBeard77, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Apr 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    RedBeard77

RedBeard77 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    base model prerunner
    Lots of great info out there, but looking for some advice to my specific situation.
    2001 reg cab, BASE model, prerunner, with 196,000mi, never touched any of the suspension. Just bought new tires 265/75/15 that are slightly rubbing on hard turns. Upon examining my leaf springs, I realized they're no longer a smiley face, but a straight face on the verge of a frowny face. I'm assuming they need to be replaced. Also, when the new tires were put on they did an alignment, said they couldn't get it aligned because the rear end was out and my truck would always drift. I can say I take excellent care of the motor, but probably hauled too heavy a load too many times. Want to remedy the situation correctly, but also as cheaply as possible. Don't do alot of off roading, but do haul heavy shit on occasion. Questions:
    1. Will Bilstein 5100's set at .85 with oem coil function properly and lift me up enough to correct the rubbing of the front tires?
    2. Will AAL fix the sagging leaf springs or am I better off replacing them completely?
    3. Upon examining the leaf springs, on the passenger side the front of the spring did look off center, like it was slightly cocked out. Has anyone ever heard of a rear-end alignment, and could the springs play a role in that?
    4. Found some leaf springs on ebay that claim 2.5" of lift. Is the front going to have to be lifted more than .85 to stay some what leveled and does the leaf spring and exhaust pipe get too close for comfort?
    My plan is to order the leaf springs off a ebay for $250, get 5100's all-around, hopefully keeping original coils, and replace bushings where needed. What am I over looking? Tips, suggestions, advice MUCH appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    RedBeard77

RedBeard77 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    base model prerunner
    Went with OME complete suspension kit from rocky-road outfitters. Thanks for all the advice

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    wheresmikeys

wheresmikeys Get Some

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Red Lodge, Montana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD Off Road
    ARB Bumper. Old Man Emu Suspension Dont leave home without it
    Were you happy with your purchase from them? I am thinking of buying my OME kit from them.

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    RedBeard77

RedBeard77 [OP] Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    base model prerunner
    I ordered the kit mid May, got it at the end of August. Every time I called to see what the delay was there was a different excuse. I honestly think this "company" is run out of one guy's basement and the employees are his stoner friends. The kit itself is great and very easy to install. I would buy this kit from anyone except RockyRoad. I would check to see if a local off road shop can order for you, they may have an account with a manufacture and get faster service. That's how I would do it second time round.

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    wheresmikeys

wheresmikeys Get Some

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Red Lodge, Montana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD Off Road
    ARB Bumper. Old Man Emu Suspension Dont leave home without it
    Thanks for the response. I have to have it in 4 weeks, so i will definitely look elsewhere

Products Discussed in

To Top